Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I changed things up a bit on my setup. I ditched the old phone GPS and picked up a dedicated GPS and mounted it to the Camel brace cross bar, and I moved my Perfect Squeeze and iPhone to the left side of the handle bar. I much prefer this layout, and much prefer the TomTom over cell phone GPS.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
I came up with an idea for mounting the phone that I haven't seen online so I thought I'd share. I bought a waterproof box online and mounted it to the handlebars with u-bolts. Then I drilled a hole in the side for the charging cable and put some rubber in the bottom of the box to protect the phone from the u-bolts. I was concerned that the phone might overheat, but hasn't been an issue this summer so far. I works great so far! I've included photos below.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior
Hand Automotive lighting Hood Bag Communication Device
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget Gas
White Product Bag Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget Gas

Hand Automotive lighting Hood Bag Communication Device

White Product Bag Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
22 AT CRF1100 | 18 NC750X
28 Posts
I have a givi phone mount but it over heats the phone, and the phone dies after few minutes.

For longer trips I now use the honda original tank bag and it seems to work great. I can control the cable length better so it won't interfere with the driving.

Still, I don't like the idea of having to use a cable for that and having to setup the gps every time you turn off the bike is a bummer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I used to have a ram mount with the X Grip and the Quick Grip to mount my old samsung phone. Now that I bought a new Iphone 13 pro I was a bit reluctant on mounting it there, especially after reading the horror stories about the vibrations and camera stabilizers breaking down! So i know keep it in my tang bang and run the cable to the usb slot from there, which of course is not so ideal, given that carplay and the usb connection is so buggy and many times you just want to navigate using only your phone.

So I was wandering where do you guys mount your phones?
When I go for a
I used to have a ram mount with the X Grip and the Quick Grip to mount my old samsung phone. Now that I bought a new Iphone 13 pro I was a bit reluctant on mounting it there, especially after reading the horror stories about the vibrations and camera stabilizers breaking down! So i know keep it in my tang bang and run the cable to the usb slot from there, which of course is not so ideal, given that carplay and the usb connection is so buggy and many times you just want to navigate using only your phone.

So I was wandering where do you guys mount your phones?
I mount mine on a shelf in the garage so I can get some peace when I'm out riding my bike... 😬

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Decided to take a punt and go with the Quadlock pro and vibration mount coupled with an iPhone 13 pro max. Bit of a guinea pig situation but we'll see.
View attachment 74628
I did the same (but with the wireless recharge module fitted as well. My iphone 13 pro max is still working fine after about 8k miles (not off road though). Mine is mounted where your is.
Mike

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
139 Posts
I keep my phone in my tankbag with some soft material surrounding it, connected to the bike so I can use navigation via AA. If I ever start thinking I need a proper GPS-device, I guess I'll go for a GPS-mount on the handlebar-clamps. A rally-tower-principle would be nicer because it keeps you from looking all the way down to see where you're supposed to go (especially when riding offroad), but the forces that happen to the above-the-screen-GPS-mount on the CRF1100L standard are too great for me to be comfortable with (on the standard AT it's just one bolt on each side, and the mounting-location is located pretty "far" from the mounting point, causing a lever-effect). Especially since my dealer informed me he heard of multiple people ending up with cracks in the area these above-the-screen-GPS-mounts are mounted due to the lever-effect (on both the standard AT as the ATAS).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the standard Quad Lock mount. Thought about the Pro & vibration mount set up, but didn't think I'll need it. If I go off road that's really aggressive to abusive riding my cell phone will be in a zipped up pocket in my jacket just in case......

21 - 39 of 39 Posts