Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to wire up a new pair of aux lights using an independent harness. I want to wire them to turn on when I turn on the high beams.

Where can I splice into the high beams? What color is the wire? Do I also need to run the high beam ground to the relay? If so, where is that wire and what color is it?

I'm not using the OEM switch and harness because I want to eventually use that to power a pair of fog lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, does anyone know how to remove the headlight cover? I've been trying to remove it, but no luck. If I can get it off, I can probably figure out which wires are correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha! So I figured it out today.

In case anyone is interested, there are at least two locations to tap into the switched high beam circuit.

The first and easiest is just behind the headlight box in the center. There are four wires coming out and going upwards towards the display area where the harnesses are. The high beam wire is the white one.

The second location is inside the display area where the harnesses are. Just follow the white wire up into that area, you'll see that the white wire is connected to a light blue one. That is the high beam wire.

For full disclosure, my bike is US spec, so your wires/colors may vary by country.

See the pics below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for sharing where and which wire the High Beams are at. I am also installing lights without any harness and needed this info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you guys using a relay, or just sending the red wire from your aux lights to this white high beam wire and black to ground?

Or just sending a remote/trigger wire up to the white high beam wire, and getting power from the battery?

I’ve always wired auxiliary lights to a separate switch and just installed the switch inline on the red wire, this is the first time I’ve tried to actually get it to interact with the high beam switch.

Thanks in advance for any info... (my lights are two 70 watt lights by the way)

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is an aux (dummy) connector on the right side inside the headlight and fairing covers. It has 12v acc power, ground, high beam power, and the fog light indicator wires in it. Eastern Beaver makes a wire splitter that will give you a connector to work with to connect your lights and an extra pigtail to connect to the factory 12v socket if you want to put that in at the same time. There is a similar dummy plug under the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an aux (dummy) connector on the right side inside the headlight and fairing covers. It has 12v acc power, ground, high beam power, and the fog light indicator wires in it. Eastern Beaver makes a wire splitter that will give you a connector to work with to connect your lights and an extra pigtail to connect to the factory 12v socket if you want to put that in at the same time. There is a similar dummy plug under the seat.
HI looking to install an aftermarket set of auxiliary driving lights on my CRF 1000 L 2017 UK spec. I will be using a skene IQ-275 dimmer unit but need to find the headlight trigger to splice into. This thread kinda points out where it is but not sure if it on a 2017 UK model or not. Also is there any instructions on how to change the headlight bulb. Surely you don't have to take it to the dealer to get that done. Any advice or pictures greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

·
Registered
223 Posts
HI looking to install an aftermarket set of auxiliary driving lights on my CRF 1000 L 2017 UK spec. I will be using a skene IQ-275 dimmer unit but need to find the headlight trigger to splice into. This thread kinda points out where it is but not sure if it on a 2017 UK model or not. Also is there any instructions on how to change the headlight bulb. Surely you don't have to take it to the dealer to get that done. Any advice or pictures greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter
No bulbs to change, the lights are LED, at least all the Aussie models are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a set of Baja Designs LED lights, and was wiring in the harness which I also purchased from BD. After some searching, I used this thread and the pictures above to locate the high beam signal. The thread is very helpful. However, I found that the correct wire for the high beam signal is the blue wire, not white. This is supported by the wiring diagram in the manual. Thanks for getting me to at least the right connector to find the right wires : )

·
Registered
2020 AT DCT
44 Posts
You can find the hi-beam relay under the seat and under a cover. Easy to get at and splice into the blue wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Olias

I’m looking for that high beam blue wire your talking about under the seat. Can you give me more details where it is.
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 AT DCT
44 Posts
Hi Olias

I’m looking for that high beam blue wire your talking about under the seat. Can you give me more details where it is.
Thanks
There are 3 relays there. I think it’s the middle one but you’ll know for sure buy touch. You should be able to feel it click when energized. Also by the blue wire coming out of it. You shouldn’t draw more than milliamperes from here so add another relay or even better... get a programmable dimmer control from Skene.

https://motorcycleinnovations.ca/products/iq-275-intelligent-lighting-controller-smart-dimmer?_pos=9&_sid=1be96801d&_ss=r&_ss=r

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've just bought a Skene IQ275 for my 2018 ATAS.
The instructions state the white wire to high beam wire. I initially used a blue wire coming from the relay under the seat.
They go onto say connect orange /white and purple /white to lights or both to single light.
As I wanted the other headlight working on dip I connected to the same wire.
This caused the main beam light to flicker.
So I then tried other switched main beam wires. There are 2 others in the same relay. Both Blue/red. All three wires switch live with the main beam switch.
I connected the white wire to either blue/red and the orange/purple to the blue wire.
The lights worked as they should 20% light into main beam with dip beam but the blue warning light on the dash was partly lit and buzzing.
As I wasn't happy with this I've disconnected everything for now.

Can anyone help with wiring the Skene on an Atas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you had time to have a another go at wiring your lights up iv got a Skene for my aux lights iv not yet had time to play with the wiring so keen to know any do's or don'ts thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had another go with Skene today.
I contacted Skene to ask about wiring an Africa twin to have both headlights working on dip beam.
They replied saying they are aware with issues fitting their unit to some of our bikes.
He sent me a different wiring diagram to what came with the IQ275.
So today I followed the new instructions that involved removing the fairings and cutting into the main beam blue wire.
I rough wired to check it worked OK.
I didn't work well at all.

The main beam light came with the dip but it flashed almost like a strobe. When I switch to main beam the headlight went out. So after a lot of work and investigation I seems the Skene IQ275 does not work on a 2018 ATAS.

I actually had better results wiring into the headlight relay under the seat.

I blew the fuse on the accessory socket and read the fuse was behind the fairing.
Mine wasn't it was under the seat. A 10amp marked OP.
I found the blue wire with Shedracers help. I have soldered another wire into the blue and left behind the headlight incase I decide to add lights later on.

Email from Skene

Thank you for contacting us with your questions about installing an IQ-275 on your 2018 Africa Twin.

Our controllers are designed to work with LED lights and utilize PWM (pulse width modulation) to offer different brightness settings. While the vast majority of LEDs in the market are compatible, some are designed so that they cannot be dimmed using PWM.

We have noticed an incompatibility between our controller and the specific type of LED used in the high beam of the 2018 and 2019 Africa Twin models. It is possible that some of the bikes sold have LEDs that are compatible.

The correct connections to use and confirm whether or not yours is compatible are in the attached pdf. The instructions reference our IQ-270-A dimmer which is made specifically for high beam installations but the wiring connections are the same, you would ignore the yellow wire on the IQ-275 and just insulate the end.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Bill
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bloody **** that looks like it been in an accident lol would love to have both head lights working but sounds like to much trouble are be happy with just the aux lights working think are go for the blue under the seat that way I can keep everything under there with my pc8 thanks for the help and if you find a way to get the head lights sorted please come back and let us know.Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understood that the LED headlights switched a ground and not a +12V feed for the high beam meaning dual intensity Aux lights wouldn't work.

Obviously need to do some more research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished installing the Skene 275a on my 2019 Standard AT. I used the 4way plug in the front for power/ground/high beam to the controller, and to a set of Denali d2. Everything fits behind the front cowl, and a double tap on the passing switch activates the strobe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts