Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'22 ATAS ES DCT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been contemplating what to do about aux lights for too long. I've searched not just here but other forums too and found many threads, however, most if not all of them are old and tech has moved on quite some even in the last few years.

So...thought I'd start a thread that can hopefully contain a good bit of knowledge for others like me looking for those all-important answers. What I'd love to know is the following:

1. Which auxiliary lights are you running?
  2. How long have you had your setup?
  3. What has your experience been like with your chosen setup?
  4. What would you change about your setup?
  5. Share/describe anything cool, creative or ingenious about it

I'll start, even though I don't strictly own this setup yet, it's work in progress.

Denali D3s or D4s (or something equivalent) mounted to the top of the crash bar
Denali D2s (or something equivalent) mounted near the bottom of the crash bar as DRLs
Hex Ezcan/Denali Cansmart
Denali Dial Dim

What's holding me back is the bloody cost of going full Denali :ROFLMAO: I'm leaning towards the dial dim so may end up going that route but it'll have to wait as I can't afford it after having spent what I have in the last 4 weeks. The use case is I enjoy camping so plenty of scouting for good spots away from civilisation, enjoy off-road more than on-road and above all else, love riding at night. Maybe I'm alone, but I find it so much more relaxing.

Interested to hear all solutions including the cheap Aliexpress ones. I have some experience with PIAA lights but that's a previous lifetime and PIAA hasn't kept up.

As always, your input is sincerely appreciated!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I installed Denali D7 and D4 lights and adjustable mounts with DialDim controller on my 18 ATAS. Great setup with the DialDim features and intensity adjustment for bikes that don't have CAN bus. Some UK members found some features on the DialDim don't work due to the wiring differences in euro spec. Tech support was responsive with the questions I had but led me astray originally telling me I would need a relay setup to convert ground switch high beam trigger to positive so wasted a bit of time on that. No plug and play kit for the CRF1000 unlike the CRF1100 so I used factory style connectors on everything to make it plug and play and not splice into the factory wiring. I was lucky to purchase all my Denali components before the price increases earlier this year. I thought maybe the D7s would be overkill but I welcome the light output at night on country backroads and daytime visibility safety factor has increased quite a bit.

New Denali DialDim D7 + D4 Lights Installation On 18 ATAS
Denali Dial Dim Indicator Wire Tap
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Carbon Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,985 Posts
Denali S4's via Hex ezCAN.
Works great, brightness all controlled automatically via the ezCAN depending on whether day/night /main/dip, so 4 different intensities possible. Can also switch on/off via oem switches and can alter brightness via oem switches as well if wished. That was the reason I wanted to use the ezCAN as it means no extra switches to be fitted to the bike. Previously I had lights wired up to the oem fog light connection (not available to North America) but it was a pain to switch On/Off and only one brightness level.
First put it on my 2021 AT DCT and then swapped them over when I got the 2022 ATAS DCT.

Pic of ezCAN on the 2021
Electrical wiring Electronic device Electrical supply Auto part Screw

Pic of 2021 with the S4's

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

Pic of 2022 with the S4's
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Plant

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
9 Posts
It's interesting you mention PIAA. They were the only lights I could find locally of any quality. I actually kind of like them as they're a little more streamlined. I don't use them for lighting as during riding season there's lots of daylight up here. They're more so others see me. I did modify them with some headlight vinyl from Amazon to turn them yellow.

I used the ezcan for simplicities sake. Only two wires for these lights but they still will dim a bit without flickering. Enough for me anyway.

At the moment I wouldn't change anything. They make me more visible esp on an all black bike. They're bright enough but not to the point where I look like my goal is to blind anyone coming towards me.

Sorry for the kind of meh photo. It's dusk out and the ATAS wasn't feeling photogenic. Hopefully you get the idea! They're on full bright because the ezcan is set to go to 100% at night with the main beam on. I haven't tinkered around too much with different settings which might be the only thing I change. The only thing I'd do differently is be a bit more careful with some of those screws holding on the plastic panels. Some of them were way tighter than they had any business being and they were awfully soft...oopsies. All worked out in the end though.

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
38 Posts
2017 AT. Denali S4 and data dim. OEM switch and loom all from rugged roads. Hit OEM switch and S4s come on low and headlamp sign illuminates on the dash. Hit main beam and S4s come on full. Patience needed fitting the loom to get optimal routing but all tidy. Needed extension of a few inch on OEM switch take off. Since then have gone Eastern Beaver for other stuff. Fitted 12 months ago. Great. Am contemplating making some polycarbonate thin protectors for the lenses to safeguard against stones since can't find anything online. Maybe other types have such things. At the same time I fitted a dual USB which I use for charging TPMS, tyre inflator...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tire Helmet Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire

Baja Designs S1 wired to fog light switch I had to order from GB I think
Mounted on Heed bars
BD is right near my house. They have 3 lenses you can switch easily
I run amber cornering and everyone says that they see me really well

Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Land vehicle Wheel Water Tire

Held up to a 65+mph slide in baja
Thats my new buddy Pedro
Let me know if I can be of any help with BD parts
Jon
Tire Helmet Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Sky Land vehicle Wheel Water Tire
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
'22 ATAS ES DCT
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Denali S4's via Hex ezCAN....
I'm getting the impression the Denali DialDim is redundant if the ezcan is used on the 20+ AT's ? Not had the chance to find that out yet but rather like the idea of increasing and decreasing intensity on the fly.

It's interesting you mention PIAA....
Quite like yours tbh. Had PIAA halogens about 15 years back but they were waay bigger lol.

Been trying to find some three wire alternatives (unsuccessfully for the time being) that would work better with the ezcan.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,985 Posts
I'm getting the impression the Denali DialDim is redundant if the ezcan is used on the 20+ AT's ? Not had the chance to find that out yet but rather like the idea of increasing and decreasing intensity on the fly.

With the ezCAN as well as having the 4 brightness options depending on day/night/dip/main you can also increase/decrease the brightness from the switches on the left bar.

Font Auto part Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
9 Posts

These are them. They also come in yellow but couldn't find any locally. They actually seem to be fairly hard to find on PIAA'S websites which is how I ended up on .co.jp.

The denalis were the only ones I could find with the 3 wire dimming. The Ezcan can dim with only two wires but on some led lights you'll get flickering in the lower %s. I haven't tried below 70%. This is similar to the early days of compact fluorescents and led home light bulbs and dimmer switches.

And trust me big honking halogens like lightforce lights tied into your highbeams and the like used to be the norm for driving your trucks and SUVs outside of the "City" up here in Northern Canada. Haven't seen any in a decade since the rise of led lightbars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts