Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Which DCT Mode Do You Mostly Ride In

• D Mode - Torque Level 3

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • S1 Mode - Torque Level 3

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • S2 Mode - Torque Level 3

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • S3 Mode - Torque Level 3

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • D Mode - Torque Level 2

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • S1 Mode - Torque Level 2

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • S2 Mode - Torque Level 2

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • S3 Mode - Torque Level 1

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • D Mode - Torque Level 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S1 Mode - Torque Level 1

Votes: 2 6.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
'Dad' mode most of the time riding solo.
S1 with a passenger
S2 when I'm out in the local logging roads
S3 or Manual chasing around canyon roads with the sportbikes

·
Registered
268 Posts
For me S1/T3 is my normal for road riding, but I will change to S2 or S3 when I'm having fun on the twisties with more 'spirited' riding.
On gravel I'll often switch to G mode, T2 and leave it in S1 - this seems to work well.

I'll also use the up/down shift buttons to put the bike in the gear I want it at a specific time. For example - when I'm riding at a steady speed and the DCT has me in 6th gear, but I'm about to overtake a car because I can see a gap coming up. The bike doesn't know about the gap in traffic, but I do - dab, dab on the down-shift button followed by a twist of the wrist and my bike is sailing by the slow vehicle. Then after some aggressive overtaking, I'm now at a steady speed but the DCT has me in 4th - after a few seconds it's going to realise that I'm not riding like a maniac any more and it will up-shift, but if I don't want to wait for a few seconds I can click the up-shifter to immediately get it into a higher gear. I find the up-shift & down-shift buttons great for the 1% of the time I want to override the DCT, the other 99% of the time I'm happy with the gear selected with the mode I've chosen.

It actually surprises me that anyone likes D mode in any situation, I've tried D and S1 a bit and find that S1 changes up quick enough to be suitable for relaxed riding, whereas D mode will put the bike in 6th gear at 60kph and then the bike can't accelerate worth a **** unless it down-shifts. S1 will put the bike in 5th at 60kph during gentle riding and I find that quite acceptable, still need to down-shift for fast acceleration but works great for gentle (rather than pathetic) acceleration. I'd rather use S1 and occasionally click the up-shifter than use D and often need to click the down-shifter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use s3 almost exclusively.
Start the engine, push the button once to get into D and again to switch to s3.
Start rolling and witch traction control to level 2 (2 bars) if wet, otherwise to level 1, and enjoy.
I hardly ever use the manual mode. Always in Auto and I force up or down, as needed, using the +/- buttons. Works excellent even riding some very rough Jeep trails available locally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use s3 almost exclusively.
Start the engine, push the button once to get into D and again to switch to s3.
Start rolling and witch traction control to level 2 (2 bars) if wet, otherwise to level 1, and enjoy.
I hardly ever use the manual mode. Always in Auto and I force up or down, as needed, using the +/- buttons. Works excellent even riding some very rough Jeep trails available locally.
Exactly +1

·
Registered
10 Posts
D mostly for on highway cruising, but will switch to S2 for twisty roads. I only have 1,400 miles on a new bike, so am still playing with options. No doubt I will be in S3 more and more as I get used to the bike.

D gives the best gas mileage, and for long stretches of tarmac I din't see any reason to burn for gas.

·
Registered
268 Posts
D gives the best gas mileage, and for long stretches of tarmac I din't see any reason to burn for gas.
For long stretches of tarmac S1, S2, S3 & D will all put the bike into 6th gear and you will get identical gas mileage. In fact the difference in gas mileage between S1 & D is absolutely minuscule compared to the difference in gas mileage due to how you use the throttle and the speed you ride at.

·
Registered
110 Posts
3k miles in. I used to ride in S2 all the time because I was so conscious of the gear shifts and it just sounded right to me. Lately I have been using D more in an effort to get better mileage. Don't even notice as long as I don't focus on it. I agree with KiwiMark, throttle control makes more difference than what shift mode your in, but... In D mode the quick upshifts keep RPMs low and torque down. It kind of naturally keeps you in a slower, cruiser mode, thereby saving gas.

Plus it seems to go into its own sport modes in D if you hammer it, it holds gears and does all the things the sport modes do. Then after a while it reverts right back into the cruising D mode. And of course you can manually override at any time.

Torque/traction control I keep at 1 bar. I would leave it in 3 bars but that is so sensitive it hampers good starts on asphalt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On pavement I like the S2 mode, with full traction control. In the dirt I still like the S2 shift characteristics, and have given up on any kind of traction control, I just turn it off. I do use the gravel mode, and also turn off the rear ABS.

I have to qualify my choices by noting that I ride almost exclusively in the southwest, no rain or wet roads, (so far).

Oh yeah, I REALLY like this bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
D shifts to 2nd before I am 50 feet out of the driveway, in 6th before I am at the first stop sign, way too lame. Now S2 or 3, TC where ever until off pavement.

G button for Gravel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Torque level? I set traction control (TC) level. If you mean something else, what is it and how do you set it? If you mean TC, then I don't see the option I mostly use (S2, TC1).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts