Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on mounting my phone above the gauges and since I won't have my bike for a couple of weeks I'm wondering which RAM Mount part will best attach to the horizontal bar above the gauges. I would prefer a more permanent mount that would be slightly harder to detach my mount by casual passerbys which I think would be the U-bolt but I'm not sure about the clearance between the bar and the windshield.

http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-claw

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231ZU

·
Registered
23 Posts
I plan on mounting my phone above the gauges and since I won't have my bike for a couple of weeks I'm wondering which RAM Mount part will best attach to the horizontal bar above the gauges. I would prefer a more permanent mount that would be slightly harder to detach my mount by casual passerbys which I think would be the U-bolt but I'm not sure about the clearance between the bar and the windshield.

http://www.rammount.com/products/tough-claw

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231ZU

I have the U-bolt one mounted on mine but at an angle parallel to the windshield. I have had this set up on an XT660Z previously and it works fine except on extremely rutted roads where no matter how tight you attempt to make it, the whole set up tends to rotate downwards. The plastic spacer is just too hard/smooth to grip sufficiently. My solution was to fit a short section of irrigation hosing, slit to get it on, between the bar and the mount and to tighten that up well. Bingo!

·
Registered
976 Posts
The u-bolt that will fit around handlebars will work - just. With the insert it just tightens down to tight around that bar (end of the threads). That worked fine and is cheap.

I ended up buying a cottage industry aluminum one from GadgetGuy GPS Mount –*Base Plate II. Expensive but more elegant and distributes the weight of the GPS across the bar more.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I ended up buying a cottage industry aluminum one from GadgetGuy GPS Mount –*Base Plate II. Expensive but more elegant and distributes the weight of the GPS across the bar more.
Did the 'Base Plate II' fit directly on the Honda cross-bar, or did you also have to purchase the 'Kit II' - which looks like a piece of ½" bar and a couple of swivel joints to mount - where?
Can you post a picture or three?
I'm trying to mount a Garmin Montana.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just the Base Plate II. Here are some pics.

By the way, I used longer screws and the ferrules which is not necessary but I liked that it brought the GPS a bit closer to my field of vision.

Did the 'Base Plate II' fit directly on the Honda cross-bar, or did you also have to purchase the 'Kit II' - which looks like a piece of ½" bar and a couple of swivel joints to mount - where?
Can you post a picture or three?
I'm trying to mount a Garmin Montana.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Superfunkomatic - Can I ask where you routed the power cable to? I'm gonna install my Zumo soon'ish, not sure where to pick up the power from - although there is the 2A 12v socket fitted, so had thought about going into that...

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought a Sumitomo connector and wiring harness from Eastern Beaver (see Aux. Power connectors) that connects to the power outlet behind the front fairing under the dash.
Very slick and easy to put together. Takes a bit of monkeying around to get the front plastics off. There's even a tiny space between the dash pieces to route the power cable for your GPS (I put a rubber grommet around it to prevent wear and tear on the wire from vibration).

Superfunkomatic - Can I ask where you routed the power cable to? I'm gonna install my Zumo soon'ish, not sure where to pick up the power from - although there is the 2A 12v socket fitted, so had thought about going into that...

Any help appreciated

Reactions: CJC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darn, I already ordered the RAM Zinc Coated U-Bolt Mounting Base with 1 inch Ball (The zinc coated metal U-bolt accommodates rails in diameter from 0.5" to 1.25" inches). The item you posted does look better though. Will see when my bike arrives (first he quoted 3 weeks, now 4 weeks..)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought and fitted the Garmin mount two posts back. I have put it on the bar above the instruments but I am not satisfied that it will hold the 590 weight from slowly tipping forward. I have used a bit of high density rubber between the bottom of the mount and top of the instruments as a temporary fix. I am tempted to drill through the mount and bar and pin it to stop it tipping but worried this might weaken the bar too much. Perfect eyeline position and does not interfere with any of the instruments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would look at the Ram RAM-B-408-37-62U. It siuts 3/8 - 5/8 bar
+1 on the RAM-B-408-37-62U Ram mount. Just put one on my cross bar above gauge cluster and it works perfectly. Coupled with short connector and cell phone holder it fits just right behind screen.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I fitted the Same mount but as suspected even tightened way past the very old fashioned torque setting if 'FT' (work it out) it still could not support the weight of a Gramin 590LM and slowly tipped forward. This even after using the adhesive backed rubber strip on the bar. I took it off and wrapped a piece of rubber anti slip sheet and retightened it. I think it is now secure. Hope it works as with the short extension bar it brings the sat nav forward to a great position. I added an MRA sports screen this evening and it sits nicely below the lip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had no vibration problems with my Garmin Zumo 390, I use a USB adaptor plugged into the power socket ( I didn't want to wire in permanently ) net result is that it works brilliantly,is easy to remove for security and not bothered by the worst of the Scottish winter weather.

I adapted the Garmin powered holder by filing out a gap so that the Garmin supplied auxillary plug would fit into the rear of the Sat nav.

Another easy power solution is to piggy back off the horn, just make sure waterproof connectors are used, works fine on my Triumph Explorer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone use the mirror stem kit to mount it to the crossbar brace for the windscreen? It looks like a good place - except it seems it will be prone to vibration...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts