Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to start changing my own tires, so I need tire irons. What's at the pros and cons of the expensive ones?

I can get a set of 3 no-name irons for $25.
I can get a pair of Tusk brand with an axel-nut wrench in the handle $60'ish
I can get Motion Pro Bead Pro for $99

I'm trying to figure out how much to spend on irons, because I also need to buy all the other tools as well (valve stem remover, rim protectors, weights, balancing stand).

If I'm only doing tire changes in my garage so should I pop for the expensive tire irons? What's your opinion?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have the cheaper set of Motion Pro tools (not the Bead Pro) and they were fine for a couple of roadside repairs with minimal swearing and effort. The Bead Pro looks like it would make quicker work of it.

Reactions: The professor

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Bead Pro and it works well for breaking the bead but haven't really tried using it as tire irons. I have a set of cheaper Motion Pro irons that I've been using for years for spooning on the tires. I'm sure the Bead Pro would work fine but like the extra leverage of the longer spoons.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the regular 15" curved Motion Pro irons are great. You do not need the bead breaker irons because the tubed tires on the Queen are easy to break. I also use MP Rim shields and Bead Buddy. The combo makes quick work of repairs and tire changes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you don't have a lot of tire change experience I'd just get the longest ones you can find and get at least 3 of them. Otherwise the best to get are the motion pro combo levers with the wrench for your axle nuts on the end. I just carry two of those around makes the tool kit small and light and works fine in the dirt. I tried the bead buddys a while back but they just got in the way and made the process take longer. The aluminum wrenches just leave silver marks on the black rims that wash off later anyway. Any bead breaker tool is unnecessary since you can just kick the tire or poke it with the side stand to pop the bead off.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts

these are the ducks guts you can buy them at MxStore online dont know about international shipping they are small and light and ive been using them on my dirt bikes for years and not one problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on the Motion Pro Bead Pro. 10" long, aluminium - or aluminum if you are in the States - weigh next to nothing and fold up neatly in your tool bag. They can break the bead and lever off a rear Motoz Tractionator Adventure no problem, and that is a pretty **** tough tyre. There is a longer 16 inch steel version available if you want to keep a set in the garage. Obviously they will give you a fair bit more leverage, but I've found the 10 inch more than adequate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts