Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I poked around the wide open spaces of the West (USA), I realized quickly that a compass would be right handy.

So I asked my good friend G-dog (Google to those of you more formal than I) and came to a quick conclusion that I was going to have to take a chance and pick one.

My "one" came from Modern Bike (pedal type venue) and will still need to be flight tested for final approval.

But, hey, I now have a dash-mounted compass! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Neat. Does north still orient to magnetic north?
As I poked around the wide open spaces of the West (USA), I realized quickly that a compass would be right handy.

So I asked my good friend G-dog (Google to those of you more formal than I) and came to a quick conclusion that I was going to have to take a chance and pick one.

My "one" came from Modern Bike (pedal type venue) and will still need to be flight tested for final approval.

But, hey, I now have a dash-mounted compass! :cool:

had one just like it; and no there is a bit to much metal for accuracy, BUT mine wasn’t to far off, close enough to guess in which of the four cardinals you are kind heading...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally. But I don't think I'd try open water navigation with it.

had one just like it; and no there is a bit to much metal for accuracy, BUT mine wasn’t to far off, close enough to guess in which of the four cardinals you are kind heading...
Exactly what I needed. When choosing between two paths, It will help with the gross navigation.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Generally. But I don't think I'd try open water navigation with it.

Exactly what I needed. When choosing between two paths, It will help with the gross navigation.
Yea that’s all I used mine for The “ish” directions......

Northish
Southish
Eastish
Westish

What more could you ask for if you are looking to go on an adventure...

Reactions: Dieselboy

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I have been wanting a compass on mine also. Maybe the 2021 model will have one on the display.

Remember that the compass will tend toward north during acceleration and tend south with deceleration (northern hemisphere). There are lead/lag errors when turning through north and south. Probably doesn't matter on an AT though.
Agree..
It would be a welcome and a sweet add on to have as part of the “normal” selections for your dash.. Or even permanent..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would love an OEM compass. But at least I now have an OEM voltmeter, which I consider an infinite no-brainer for a modern bike. A compass seems to be a trickery proposition, so I'm not holding my breath for the near future.

As to using my new compass, I'll pop it from the bracket and hold it away from the dash if necessary. I certainly don't consider this to be "the answer". But it is a start...

Post up if you have better solution.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I would love an OEM compass. But at least I now have an OEM voltmeter, which I consider an infinite no-brainer for a modern bike. A compass seems to be a trickery proposition, so I'm not holding my breath for the near future.

As to using my new compass, I'll pop if from the bracket and hold it away from the dash if necessary. I certainly don't consider this to be "the answer". But it is a start...

Post up if you have better solution.

Lol are we related ?
thought the same thing about my cheap little compass, better to have one then not. AND
a voltmeter is among one if the fist tings I put on too..

You can kinda see it tucked away above the two OEM fog light switches..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...a voltmeter is among one if the fist tings I put on too...
Yup. Bought one to put on this bike before I found reference to it in the manuals. Still had it with me for install until I proved it was actually there for myself. Wish I could select where it appears but it is there at least.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Yup. Bought one to put on this bike before I found reference to it in the manuals. Still had it with me for install until I proved it was actually there for myself. Wish I could select where it appears but it is there at least.
Cool so the 2020’s have a OEM one, is it like one of a selectable items on the screen then?
if you get a chance, take a pic and post it please I’m interested in where they put it and how it looks.. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's on page 3 only and only on the Gold Screen. Because of that, this screen is the one I leave visible and I rotate out for temporary views of other data.

I have set Tour, Urban, and User 1 to this set up, basically all of my on-road screens. Because the off-road modes affect ABS, I make those different so I don't accidentally change the mode and not notice the one small word difference. It is too easy to change your mode. Just a tap of the up or down arrow will move you somewhere else.

It was a big problem during the familiarization phase (on-going but improving) where your thumb is hunting for a turn signal, shift paddle, or left/right toggle and you end up hitting a mode change.....:mad:

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
It's on page 3 only and only on the Gold Screen. Because of that, this screen is the one I leave visible and I rotate out for temporary views of other data.

I have set Tour, Urban, and User 1 to this set up, basically all of my on-road screens. Because the off-road modes affect ABS, I make those different so I don't accidentally change the mode and not notice the one small word difference. It is too easy to change your mode. Just a tap of the up or down arrow will move you somewhere else.

It was a big problem during the familiarization phase (on-going but improving) where your thumb is hunting for a turn signal, shift paddle, or left/right toggle and you end up hitting a mode change.....:mad:
Thanks
Good to know..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Incidentally, when I turned on the bike to snap the photo of the voltmeter, the compass rotated 5-10°. Not unexpected but a little annoying. So I definitely have some more work to do there for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Incidentally, when I turned on the bike to snap the photo of the voltmeter, the compass rotated 5-10°. Not unexpected but a little annoying. So I definitely have some more work to do there for sure.

Yea I just use mine as a general direction. If I do go remote tail riding I ALWAYS carry a paper map and my 3H neither has ever failed me...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

I like the convenience of the voltage feedback.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts