Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has done 35k miles and I am noticing quite a loud whining noise when the throttle is suddenly closed from high speed (say from 70mph). I can't tell whether it's coming from the DCT gear box, the chain or the tyres (or whether it's always done it 😄). I have just put a brand new chain on. and the tyres were replaced 3k miles ago. I am a bit disappointed in the tyres because they have formed a distinct squaring off and it happened within the first 2k miles. These are the expensive dunlop trailsmart meridians, because the OEM dunlops have been discontinued.
Anyone else had this whining noise, or can suggest what it might be, or whether I'm imagining it's a new noise.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interestingly, I rode my 2017 manual transmission AT on the weekend and noticed a “scraping / wining“ noise on deceleration. The noise got gradually worse as I rode along. I only have ~2.5K miles on the bike, so I was surprised by the noise. It turns out, the chain side rear tensioner has retracted into the swingarm, and the chain became extremely lose. I tightened the chain, to within spec, and the noise went away. But not before I’d done ~100 miles. Hopefully no wear or damage occurred as a result of my initial ignoring the noise. You live and learn.

As for tires, I just installed a MotoZ, Tractionator GPS rear tire. Too early to judge wear characteristics, but it was a pleasure to ride on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts