Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s running a tire pressure monitor system?
What kind and how do you like it?
My current system is when the bike kinda seems hard to push backwards into or out of my garage and or when the traction control kicks on during acceleration due the rear tire spinning on the rim ( that seems to be a great indicator that something is not right ).

Reactions: Little Bill Daggett

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
I have a no-name and common generic [wireless electronic] offering from AliExpress. It has been used for about 15 months now without an issue. I have not replaced any batteries yet.

So far the only negative experience is the air pressure readings are about 2 to 3 pounds lower than reality (better to read lower versus higher). I accept this offset given the sensor battery-operated size and convenience.

Using @AT-Dragon 's procedure, I am unsure if it would work for me given that the Dunlop Trailmax Mission sidewalls don't seem to need air pressure to function. :p

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a no-name and common generic [wireless electronic] offering from AliExpress. It has been used for about 15 months now without an issue. I have not replaced any batteries yet.

So far the only negative experience is the air pressure readings are about 2 to 3 pounds lower than reality (better to read lower versus higher). I accept this offset given the sensor battery-operated size and convenience.

Using @AT-Dragon 's procedure, I am unsure if it would work for me given that the Dunlop Trailmax Mission sidewalls don't seem to need air pressure to function. :p
Yep this is what a flat trailmax looks like..
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
I purchased a TPMS from AliExpress last year, about $25 including shipping.

Compared the pressure (bar or psi configurable) with 2 digital pressure meters, it’s accurate within 0.2 bar. It wakes up when the bike moves, works several months on a single charge. Quite happy with it.

View attachment 71356
This is the one I have.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Compared the pressure (bar or psi configurable) with 2 digital pressure meters, it’s accurate within 0.2 bar. It wakes up when the bike moves, works several months on a single charge. Quite happy with it.

View attachment 71356
I have the same one - I have had no problems with it other than replacing the coin batteries in the sensors one time. The battery does hold a charge for quite a while, a few months at least. They also have a similar model that is rechargeable but also has a small solar cell on the top to keep it charged. My only complaint with it is the clock does not keep accurate time. Not a big deal as the bike has its own clock. There are many of these same units on Ebay for cheap. I think I only paid about $26.00 USD for mine.

Here is the the solar powered unit.

·
Registered
CRF1000 AS 2019 Tricolour
62 Posts
I have the same one - I have had no problems with it other than replacing the coin batteries in the sensors one time. The battery does hold a charge for quite a while, a few months at least. They also have a similar model that is rechargeable but also has a small solar cell on the top to keep it charged. My only complaint with it is the clock does not keep accurate time. Not a big deal as the bike has its own clock.
I have a bunch of spare batts for the sensors, don’t know how long they’ll last, we’ll see.

About he clock: you‘re totally right. It just sucks, I think it’s off by several minutes per day, unusable feature, that we don’t need on our ATs since there‘s an accurate clock in the dash.
Kind of weird isn’t it? Such a nice product that’s able to measure, transmit, receive and display pressures so well. But implementing a simple digital clock, a feature that we are used to since the ‘80s, seems to be too difficult.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same one - I have had no problems with it other than replacing the coin batteries in the sensors one time. The battery does hold a charge for quite a while, a few months at least. They also have a similar model that is rechargeable but also has a small solar cell on the top to keep it charged. My only complaint with it is the clock does not keep accurate time. Not a big deal as the bike has its own clock. There are many of these same units on Ebay for cheap. I think I only paid about $26.00 USD for mine.

Here is the the solar powered unit.
I have a bunch of spare batts for the sensors, don’t know how long they’ll last, we’ll see.

About he clock: you‘re totally right. It just sucks, I think it’s off by several minutes per day, unusable feature, that we don’t need on our ATs since there‘s an accurate clock in the dash.
Kind of weird isn’t it? Such a nice product that’s able to measure, transmit, receive and display pressures so well. But implementing a simple digital clock, a feature that we are used to since the ‘80s, seems to be too difficult.
Agreed the clock is useless anyway, the AT clock is great and so is the one on my GPS that also displays the current weather.. Hmmmm, thanks? I’m currently riding in it. Not to mention I have my 100% accurate Indian weather rock attached to my AT..
Wood Triangle Font Natural material Fashion accessory

I do like having the air temp on the GPS to compare it with the AT’s

• Haha
Reactions: Bram

·
Registered
CRF1000 AS 2019 Tricolour
62 Posts
Agreed the clock is useless anyway, the AT clock is great and so is the one on my GPS that also displays the current weather.. Hmmmm, thanks? I’m currently riding in it. That is about as useful as a Indian weather rock…
View attachment 71357

We call this a “Belgian weather station”. I’m sure @StijnATAS has one too.

(This is payback for his comments on Heineken beer some time ago ;))

·
Registered
788 Posts
Agreed the clock is useless anyway, the AT clock is great and so is the one on my GPS that also displays the current weather.. Hmmmm, thanks? I’m currently riding in it. That is about as useful as a Indian weather rock…
View attachment 71357

I wonder if that is what the local forecasters use here? It would be just a accurate sometimes.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I wonder if that is what the local forecasters use here? It would be just a accurate sometimes.
I will say that that the wind function on it does not work correctly when the bike is moving, but other then that it’s pretty darn reliable..
It also has the added benefit as a theft deterrent when you detach the rock from the wooden base..

• Haha
Reactions: Lupolee and Bram

·
Registered
ATAS 2020 DCT ES
121 Posts

Sky Plant Vertebrate Nature Natural environment

This is mine, the three last quotes are the best,
I will translate them in English for my fellow AT addicts:
rock two times—> alcohol
rock on the ground —> earthquake
rock gone —> theft

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
337 Posts

View attachment 71356
This is the one I have.
What about the display brightness? Can you see the numbers under normal daylight? I bought a similar TPMS from Aliexpress, not the same, that I have to return because the display was so dim as to be unreadable under regular daylight, making it useless

·
Registered
2018 AT DCT
35 Posts
I've had the Hawkshead Moto Track Cruiser (from Canada) system for almost a year and a half now and it's been great. I like that the display unit has auto backlighting and that it can display both temperature and pressure. The display is easy to read in full direct sunlight as well as at nighttime with backlighting. The tire sensors are very small and are pre-coded from the factory. You can set low and high alerts for both pressure and temperature. And it will also alert for fast leaks. The display unit is rechargeable, but the tire sensors are replaceable battery type. It's pretty accurate as it reads pressure at one (1) psi lower than actual.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have the Steelmate TP90. I have it for some 7 yrs now (had it on my previous bike and now on the ATAS). Obviously very reliable. It is the type with sensors on the valve. I have changed sensor batteries just once in all those years. It requires a hardwire connection.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable Wire

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,607 Posts
I had a Fobo Bike, it worked with an app on your phone and would alert you if there was an issue and could also be viewed on the phone if you wished.
It worked great for a while but then started eating batteries so it got sent back to Amazon, I wanted a replacement but they would only offer a refund so I decided not to bother sourcing another. Might look again in the future for another but definitely prefer the app type.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts