Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sounds like you are breaking it in correctly. Make sure you get some good crash bars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a set of Heed bars incoming. Put another 150 miles on it yesterday, mostly pavement.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Heed bars are great. Ore I guess I should say that I am very pleased with mine. Do yourself a favor before installing and check the 120 mm long bolts that go through the down-tube. Mine were just bolt stock threaded on each end for the nuts, and that is nuts (pun intended). Really difficult to torque. I got a set of 125 mm with lock nuts for replacing at first convenience. That came about when I had some warranty work done (replaced fuel pump), and the shop tech was very pleased to have the aftermarket bolts available. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I picked up my new 2019 on Friday and have 600 miles on it now.
Got mine 2 months ago and have 80 miles, family SUV is 6 years old with 21,183 miles. You must live out in the boonies - LOL - and I'm jealous!

The Heed bars are great. ... Really difficult to torque. [get] a set of 125 mm with lock nuts...for convenience.
Ordered mine 2 days ago, ETA is Sept 6. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In 2013 I bought a CRF250L in the spring and an FZ09 in December. I really wanted the FZ, but the CRF250L I bought just because it was the only fuel injected enduro I found other than a KTM (I've owned enough orange bikes). When the rumor mill kicked in about the Africa Twin I was kicking myself about having blown my bike budget for a while (single parent syndrome). I really started lusting over it once it was released in 2016, and by 2017 I had a couple of friends that had them. I traded bikes with my friends for rides, and spent a lot of time on a couple of 2017's. The Africa Twin doesn't rail in corners or jump like the FZ-09 did - but I don't have to stop every 100 miles for gas - and it carries a passenger much better (****, even the CRF250L carried a passenger better than the FZ-09 did). I sold the CRF250L and traded in the FZ for a 2018 ATAS - and I've been real happy with it. I do wish I had something more dirt worthy - but it will either be something like a used DR650/DRZ400/XR650 - or I'll save up for a few years and get a CRF450L. I've heard they are going to be making several more sizes of the CRF-L bikes - with a CRF650L and CRF850L aimed right at my wallet. I hate it when I ask - why didn't they make that bike first?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up about the bolts!

The shortest distance to pavement from my house is seven miles, yes it is the boonies. It's how I "justified" my 2010 Ford Raptor, too. Today was a wet ride home. At least the dust has been washed off.....and replaced with mud. Just a shade under 1000 miles now, I've stopped keeping track of how many on pavement vs dirt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've heard they are going to be making several more sizes of the CRF-L bikes - with a CRF650L and CRF850L aimed right at my wallet. I hate it when I ask - why didn't they make that bike first?
I knew about the 850 when I got mine and dealer said it was gonna have a much lower seat height. So at 6-2 when I get up and 6-1 at the end of the day:laugh:, I went with the ATAS and will make it work for the long haul. Considering the 450 is $10k with little haggle room I'm sure I made a good choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got mine 6mths ago and 4000km later I still feel the same as you Phydough. I liked the AT when it first came out, but by the time I could seriously look at buying one, the 790 and T7 were coming out. As it turned out the 790 was $$$$, a friend bought one, nice machine, but still prefer mine regardless of price. T7? I’d still be waiting....
No regrets, AT is a great bike :smile2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got mine 6mths ago and 4000km later I still feel the same as you Phydough. I liked the AT when it first came out, but by the time I could seriously look at buying one, the 790 and T7 were coming out. As it turned out the 790 was $$$$, a friend bought one, nice machine, but still prefer mine regardless of price. T7? I’d still be waiting....
No regrets, AT is a great bike :smile2:
And the T7 is butt ugly...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I knew about the 850 when I got mine and dealer said it was gonna have a much lower seat height. So at 6-2 when I get up and 6-1 at the end of the day:laugh:, I went with the ATAS and will make it work for the long haul. Considering the 450 is $10k with little haggle room I'm sure I made a good choice.
I'm noticably taller at 6'3" than anyone else I've met that is 6'3". I don't stand up straight to be measured - it's too depressing. I could have gone a bit taller. I stand flatfooted on my ATAS with the seat in the high position. I don't like the maintenance schedule on the 450 - that and the tiny seat turned me off. For a solo bike it would be great - but I really like how the ATAS carries a passenger. My last one that did that well was my Vstrom. I've had a couple of bikes with 37" seats that I was comfortable with (Adventure 640 and XR650) - so the 850 might have been worth me waiting for. Oh well...

·
Registered
415 Posts
As for the actual question, I was thrilled when the first Africa Twin was revealed in 2014 and the one shown was a DCT. But I was too cautious about a brand new and untested model, so I held fire. As the reports came in beginning in 2016, I was put off by the small tank size more than anything. Roll on to 2018 and the 'Sports model was the answer I was waiting for and I finally jumped at the end of the year when the offers were too good to miss. I got a really hefty discount. My DCT Sports was cheaper (including Honda centre stand fitted) than the normal price of a Standard manual, perfect. And that discount allowed me to swap the wheels for tubeless, almost immediately. Only downside being that luggage will have to wait until next year. I've only had one problem and that was water under the outer instrument cover, both inner and outer were replaced under warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts