Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title asks,

why does every one hate the dunlops?

i personally like them, they are cheap, i get 9-10k kms out of a rear and slightly more from the front

when i purchased the xr600 it had the dunlop 610's on it and i replaced them with the dunlop 606's for the winter on the dirt. both have more traction than my skill level. the 610 is s**t house on the grass but IMO fantastic for a 60/40 tyre on the road.
the 606's were absolutely fantastic in the mud, clay, sand, fire trails, single trails ect ect and for a reasonably aggressive knobby they way out performed my expectations on the road with minimal vibrations and noise and only ever scared me after a run of hot days then rain that bought all the crap out of the road and i had a moment of reshaping the seat with my behind on a greasy patch ...

so now on the at .. i still have the 610's ive done nearly 4000km so far on them and i cant fault them this time around either. i push the rear right out to the edge ( no chicken strips ) and i dont ride kindly.

so i can see the down points .. they are slightly heavier than other tyres, they need a tube, ... other than that what am i missing ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Today I passed 560 miles on them, from new and as far as Im concerned, they're perfectly adequate as far as OE tyres go. Sure footed enough on the greasy winter roads we have to deal with here in the UK.

Would I replace them like for like?

I have no idea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do no have a problem with them, currently at 3200 miles of 75/25 riding and starting to show some wear. I can go places my friends with KLR's go and places where they struggle with there big bikes with ease.

What will I replace them with, IDK but they will be round and not big blocks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had no problem with them on the tarmac, but wasn't happy to use them on gravel & dirt. I switched to a 50/50 rear (Mitas E-07) and a 40/60 front (Continental TKC-80), these work well on the sealed roads and I'm very happy with them on gravel as well.

My first 1,100km was on the original tyres and I hadn't done any gravel riding, they seemed just fine to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No problems with the stock tires on paved roads, they were better than my riding skills could push them.

On gravel was a complete different story. Traction control always seemed to be coming in and the front felt squirmy, like it would move from side to side. Crossing the middle of a gravel road where the gravel is thick and loose actually made me nervous on the stockers. But I never had a real problem enough to make me switch them out early.

I never have done any hard offroad stuff on this bike, but the stock tires totally stink in muddy wet grass. Right after I got the bike, like new tires, i got in some and had to walk the bike up a slight incline. Traction conrol makes it easier to walk the bike in mud btw. Then in my own yard on wet grass the front end slid out from under me at less than ABS speed causing a crack in the fairing where a radiator fan punched thru. That was my first and only, so far, moving crash on the bike and it hurt my heart and wallet replacing the cover.

At 5200 miles the rear was a near slick and the front was at the wear indicators. I replaced with Motoz GPS rear and TKC 80 front. I have only ridden these a little bit on paved roads. They handle paved road great, hum a little more but its not even a bother. Looking forward to 2019 riding season to really try them out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The best summer in decades and iv'e had quite a few front end slides with these tyres and that is in the dry absolutely hate them,can't wait till my new wheels come next month them i'm getting the hacksaw to em.

·
Registered
423 Posts
For me they are ok on dry tarmak as long as they are well warmed up. Till then, they slide like ****. In Greece, specifically in the Urban areas we do not have good tarmak; grip is already limited due to this.

On wet tarmac (always "Greek" tarmak) I do not trust them at all. Rear ABS works overtime, so does the traction control.

I have 6K kms on them so far and I will kissing them good-bye right after vacation period. I tend towards the Scoprion Trails, which are considered maybe the best tyre in Greece for this category at the time.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I love the oem dunlops. After the first ones wore out at 10k miles I put on Contis. They lasted 4500 miles (well the front did - at that point it looked dangerous to me and I went back to Trailsmarts which I think are the OEMs
Mind you yesterday on normal road, riding slowly the front wheel slid away and I nearly lost it. Drove on a couple of miles thinking either the tyres are worse than I thought or my riding is getting worse, then thought 'nah - got to go back and check this out'. Found a diesel trail about a foot wide at the junction. Fortunately the tyre had bitten on the far side of the slick - whew
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
To me one of the worst tyre ever on wet tarmac, decent on dry as long as properly warmed up. Got a couple of scary episodes on the wet, and changed it after that. So far 2 pairs of scorpion rally str, wonderful tyres on tarmac and good on dry dirt/rocks. They are not acceptable on mud, so for the winter I now have the Mitas E09. They are probably as bad as the oem dunlop on wet tarmac but way more sincere and predictable, clearly they have a quite good performance offroad so the trade-off makes sense. In few months when it will dry up I ll go back to the scorpion rally str

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the Trailmax D610s just fine. I can’t imagine street performance getting much better; they handle the twisties perfectly well and are good at speed. And no issues with tar snakes or road paint if I'm mindful.

On dirt, they’re better than I’d expected… on dry dirt. Early on, I was out on wet dirt/ gravel for a short jaunt and didn’t like some of what I felt but was able to tortoise my way out OK and I'm remember being impressed with the low-end torque on the bike. But I know for a fact I won't take them on wet grass or mud.

On packed gravel they perform OK too, but I go easy because you never know when it might turn to deep and soft—and on soft gravel, unless you’re moving in a constant straight line, you’re asking for trouble and even then, you can feel the weight pushing instead of riding.

But say what you will, I’m not a fan of the wet stuff anyway. I know it will be unavoidable when we plan our longer trips, but for now, for daytrips, don’t even bother calling unless the sun’s out and it’s been dry for a few days at least. I feel the same about the cold… below 50f and I’m just not that interested. Call me boring, but I don’t like falling and I don’t like picking up this 500lb bike. What’s more, it may sound sad, but I’d really like to avoid messing my bike up or even getting it real dirty… (I know. I know). I like it all pretty and clean—because it is so *damned* pretty.

I learned a lot my last time out about the bike’s abilities and mine on it—it fools you into thinking it’s a dirt bike on long flat runs or gentle slopes and jumps, so you're inclined to go a bit hard at times, but when the going gets a bit rough or squirrelly, you begin to feel the weight.

In summary, I think it’s pretty amazing what these stock tires (this bike) can do on *dry* dirt. You can really get-it-on. And I’ll be 70/30 at best street/ dirt, so I don’t want to sacrifice street performance too much or deal with a lot of noise. But we’re planning some true adventure trips in the coming years and going with these or anything less than a solid 50/50 would be just plain silly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As the title asks,

why does every one hate the dunlops? ... so now on the at .. i still have the 610's ive done nearly 4000km so far on them and i cant fault them this time around either. i push the rear right out to the edge ( no chicken strips ) and i dont ride kindly.
so i can see the down points .. they are slightly heavier than other tyres, they need a tube, ... other than that what am i missing ?
They suck on mud, dirt, gravel ...

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
It’s not that people hate the Dunlop’s, it’s more that those who love them don’t know any better......i>:)
Possibly however OEM tyres are different compound from what you buy over the counter, all manufacturers do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting point raised. I ride 100% tarmac so it makes sense to go for a different tyre. I use Avon Roadriders.

Partly because I like Avon tyres. I did find the oem tyre very poor in comparison to these and changed them at 1500 miles.

The interesting point is: did I lose confidence in them because of the "bad" reports or are they not good?

Whatever I am very happy with the Avons and will stick with them unless I get the urge to have a go off road.
Z

·
Registered
133 Posts
Because they are pants:surprise:, remind me of the Yokohamas fitted to a great many Jap bikes in the '70s, the Dunlops on the AT let the front push on dry tarmac and the rear skips and slides with little provocation, totally unpredictable in the wet. The front follows overbanding and white lines and cracks like a dog behind a bitch on heat.
Changing to 19/17 tubeless in the new year with Conti Trail Attac 2's mounted. Ride 99% tarmac so no interest in off road capability.
How Honda could send out their flagship trailie on these is beyond me.:|

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Because they are pants:surprise:, remind me of the Yokohamas fitted to a great many Jap bikes in the '70s, the Dunlops on the AT let the front push on dry tarmac and the rear skips and slides with little provocation, totally unpredictable in the wet. The front follows overbanding and white lines and cracks like a dog behind a bitch on heat.
Changing to 19/17 tubeless in the new year with Conti Trail Attac 2's mounted. Ride 99% tarmac so no interest in off road capability.
In 10k miles I had no cracking in the Oems but dreadfull cracking down the treads of Contis at 4500 miles. Go figure.
Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is that a typo or are you changing the rims to 19/17’s because you want a better road experience? Would be happy to ear how it goes for you if you do swap the rims.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dry pavement I like them, quiet and predictable. Wet not so much. Back end stepped out on me on a 90 degree turn at a normal speed ,in gravel front end washes out easily on corners. Only 3000 kms on them- thats not good. Thinking of swapping them out for shinko 804/805's and stick the dunlops in the corner for now.These are pretty much a 90/10 tire so the gravel part is understandable but on wet tarmac they should do better.

·
Registered
437 Posts
19/17 wheels? Made to order most likely.

We're all different and it didn't take me very long at all to adjust to the rather oddball (by my standards) wheel sizes on the bike. I'm more than happy sticking with the same sizes when I take delivery of my new wheels. I've already found that according to one forum member Tourances are feasible. Though most seem to opt for either Trail Attacks or Scopions. A new Trail attack is imminent... Due to arrive in the UK in January. Which I might go for, but I have used Tourances on my old tractor (R1100GS) for years and always liked them.

I also think that, for my purposes at least, the 21" front does have some benefits on the really quite bad road surfaces I find myself on a lot of the time, both here and abroad.

But.. Right now it's tick-tock, waiting for news on the wheels and I'm fine with the Dunlops until they arrive, a puncture might change my mind about that, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts