Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
I'm 54. I've had bikes since I was 17 up until 10 years ago when I discovered road cycling and it took over my life to the complete and utter exclusion of motorbikes. Trips to Europe with a motorbike became pilgrimages to the Alps with a road bicycle to ride the grand cols you see in the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta. But then suddenly about 9 months ago I suddenly had an epiphany where I discovered there was a huge void left by no longer having a motorcycle. But I didn't want to revisit the sports and sports tourer scene because, to be frank, I'd started to find them too bl**dy uncomfortable. Even when I was younger they hadn't been that pleasant.

So a more upright bike was on the cards. The Ducati Scrambler had just come out so I tried one - it was all going well until I came to a bendy road and I realised I couldn't live with a bike that wasn't much cop in the twisties. I then tried a Versys (650 and 1000), a Tracer and then a GS 1200. No contest - the GS was a clear class above. But then I started researching them a bit and I realised everyone had one and everyone moaned about the same things - great bike, cr*p gearbox, high running costs, overly complicated and too heavy. And wide!

And then I read about the return of the Africa Twin. So I thought I'd wait and try it. Waited, rode it, loved it and then anguished over whether it was better or worse then the GS. There's no doubt the GS is great to ride and is relatively well-proven with a plethora of add-ons to do more or less anything. But for the following reasons I chose the AT:

- Gearbox (I have a DCT)
- Cost (both to buy and, more importantly to me, to run)
- Plush suspension - important on rubbish UK roads
- Honda reliability (assumed at this stage of course)

I nearly didn't buy one because I dislike tubed tyres, I wanted it to be lighter (even with DCT!) and I was naffed off we have to pay more for DCT in the UK than some other countries.

But to ride it is to really like it. And I can change the wheels quite easily - albeit negating some of the price benefit. The weight is, and always will be more of a problem.

I've no regrets though - even though I can hear the spokes corroding as I write this.

· Registered
459 Posts
I nearly didn't buy one because I dislike tubed tyres,
That makes two of us! Started researching the options. Meanwhile going to fill the tubes with gloop.
Let us know if you find anything. Alpina wheels are the only one I'm considering at the moment - well, the only ones I know about so far that is... About £1400...

· Registered
459 Posts
Anyways as it an adventure bike, maybe they will offer tubless compatible wheels in the future. Fingers crossed.
I think that is the main reason that it does have tubes - well, that and cost-cutting. Tubes appeal to the more "off the beaten track" riders where a bust wheel or a tyre tear could be a more serious event. The tubes are a compromise I've chosen to make as I like most of the rest of the bike. But as I'm unlikely to go further than Eastern Europe or Northern Africa with it and I'm an off-road novice the wrong side of 50 I probably won't need tubes. In fact for me the tubes have the potential to be a right royal pain in the backside... Let's hope the recovery services don't keep me waiting too long.

As I live in Europe the wheel corrosion is an issue too - it's started on mine and I keep them clean and ACF50-coated and haven't ridden in the rain yet. So that's pretty shocking.

Otherwise though it's great to ride, reasonably cheap to buy and run and should get you most places you want to go with a smile on your face.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.