Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm now on about 550 miles after last nights ride out.
So today I thought I'd get my bike booked in for its first service at my dealer where I had the bike from.
Called them up to book in Saturday the 27th of this month as that's the only time I can do due to my other halfs job and looking after my daughter.
They told me there service department is not open on Saturday,I asked not even half day 8-12 like every other dealer iv come accross.
There is no way I can get the bike in during the week due to me been away from home with work. They asked if I can leave the bike with them,I said yes if you loan me a bike to come home on!
I then asked why I need to leave the bike with them for what is affectively an oil change,it should take 1 hour at the most,the girl on service didn't have a clue what to say.

Looks like I'm going to Bill Smith Honda then in Chester.

How much custom must Wigan Honda loose due to this stupid set up,as I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't have time to send there bike in during the week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They lost at least 1 customer - me. I live 5 miles from Wigan Honda but bought mine from Hunts in Manchester because I didn't have confidence in the Wigan guys. I also have 550 miles on mine and just booked in for Sat 3rd June which was the first Saturday appointment available. They tell me it'll take 90 mins and they're doing it for free, which I'm impressed about.

Hunt's told me not to go over 1000 miles, to keep an eye on the oil level and to take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They lost at least 1 customer - me. I live 5 miles from Wigan Honda but bought mine from Hunts in Manchester because I didn't have confidence in the Wigan guys. I also have 550 miles on mine and just booked in for Sat 3rd June which was the first Saturday appointment available. They tell me it'll take 90 mins and they're doing it for free, which I'm impressed about.

Hunt's told me not to go over 1000 miles, to keep an eye on the oil level and to take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't fault Wigan till now,there sales was fantastic and they did be a fantastic deal on PCP and also did my centre stand and 1st service for free. I'm going have to take Friday the 26th of this month off to get it in for its service.
Yes Hunts are good but Wigan is about 20mins ride where Hunts is nearly an hour.
Just hope Wigan don't take as long as my mate had to wait when he took his Grom for its first service,4 hours he was there!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
To be honest I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

Yes there are service departments that work Saturdays, but I have come across quite a few that don't. Again a lot will get you in and out within an hour for a first serviice, but unless you are booked in as the the first bike of the day, many can't guarantee when they will start working on the bike if the previous job is a repair of some sort.

My main gripe is dealers being booked up for a month or more in advance. Having said all that there are plenty of slick operations too but they may not be the nearest to home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be honest I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

Yes there are service departments that work Saturdays, but I have come across quite a few that don't. Again a lot will get you in and out within an hour for a first serviice, but unless you are booked in as the the first bike of the day, many can't guarantee when they will start working on the bike if the previous job is a repair of some sort.

My main gripe is dealers being booked up for a month or more in advance. Having said all that there are plenty of slick operations too but they may not be the nearest to home.
Yep booked in for 08:30 on the 26th. My mate has an MT10 and can't get his first service till 3 weeks time due to them be booked up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had issues with both Hunts and Wigan, I'll go to Hunts for parts etc if needed but I'll not use Wigan again ever. Its one of those 'franchises' that treat us as mugs...

Twice I went to buy bikes, twice they told me 'inaccurate' things... I'll not say they lied

Went to trade in Mrs CJC's Varadero against a CB500X, Couldn't even arrange a test ride on one for over a week, refused to give us a trade-in price until we confirm the order and pay deposit "that's the way Honda do it"... got £1500 straight off elsewhere same day.

Went to test DCT AT there, gave them max figure I wanted to spend pcm, told them my deposit and a Transalp I'd like to throw in before I went for ride. Came back and he was £40 over the amount...

"Extended warranty sir" - Its a brand new bike, if it goes wrong in 1st 2 years, there won't be a 3rd...

"GAP insurance" - Oh do jog on...

"MGP" - Now I thought free tickets... but no, a protection coating for the bike "last forever?" "No, has to be reapplied"

"That's the absolute best deal I can do for you today" - I told him I was leaving and he was suddenly able to get his manager on the phone, who was unavailable as it was his day off, to get a price for my TA.

I left, rang another dealer I'd test rode through also that same day, bought the PCP deal for £50 less then Wigan could do, had the bike the next week, got exactly what I wanted for the TA without him even seeing it. Plus heated grips thrown in (and they work!)

I've been very tempted to ride back to Wigan, with all the add-ons I've put on the AT, to say "See? I was serious..."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't really fault the sales service I received,I found a deal elsewhere and said if you can match it you have the sale.
The deal I found was £299 deposit and £150 a month for 3 years on a 17 AT.
I also got the centre stand and 1st service for free.
My problem is that they don't work Saturday mornings,they must loose so much service custom by not doing this.
I for one do not get chance to service my bike during the week as I'm away from home most of the week in the waggon.
I have had to book a days holiday now just to service my bike,but it is a free service so I can't complain to much.
It will be going to Bill Smith's in Chester after this,as these guys do work weekends.
Also Wigan asked when I want to collect the bike!!! I said I'm waiting for it unless your giving me a loan bike or paying for my return trip in a taxi.
Iv booked in at 08:30 so I exspect it to started as first job of the day not at lunch.
I only had to wait 3 hours when a Ducati main dealer did belts on my 1098!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't understand motorcycle shops that are closed on Saturdays. People who have money to spare are the ones working Monday to Friday, get caught in traffic jams on evening and have no time to visit a bike dealer at night. I understand they might not want to offer the full service on Saturday morning, but come on, oil changes as well as small stuff.

What to do then? Simple, visit your reputable independent motorcycle shop and keep all your receipts. And if the dealer denies a warranty because the bike wasn't serviced at their location, then tell them they were closed every single time you needed servicing... ;-)

Reactions: Q-Ball

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I sent and email on Sunday to Cox Motor Group who own Wigan Honda along with Blackpool and Lancaster and possibly others.
I explained my situation and I'm not around in the week to bring my bike in for service.
I said I'm upset that I can't take my bike to my supplying dealer for its servicing and will need to take it elsewhere that works Saturday mornings to accommodate my needs.

I explained that I feel they may be loosing a reasonable amount of business by not doing half day servicing on Saturday mornings.

Got a response tonight saying this -
Hi Phil,

I am sorry that our hours do not suit you, you have a fair point so I have
asked the Group Aftersales Manager Steve to consider the feasibility of
including Saturday mornings to the working week. As you can imagine this
will need a little time and work to understand. Then obviously, with
employment law, agreement changing of contracts for service technicians etc
before it could be a reality.

If we can make it happen we will email our database to offer the facility,
otherwise currently we offer a collection and delivery service, maybe this
could be of help to you?

Many thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
800 Posts
Must be terrible to be a mechanic these days.....working five week days and then be expected to give up a Saturday with family or friends to provide customers who are happy to be free on a Saturday themselves a service on their day off. Sure, why not make them work shifts at night as well ? Maybe that would suit those who like the world to revolve around them.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Must be terrible to be a mechanic these days.....working five week days and then be expected to give up a Saturday with family or friends to provide customers who are happy to be free on a Saturday themselves a service on their day off. Sure, why not make them work shifts at night as well ? Maybe that would suit those who like the world to revolve around them.......:rolleyes:
Swings and roundabouts there fella,I tramp all over the UK and Europe and don't see much of my two year old daughter or my partner at all apart from the weekends. So I guess a bike tech doing 8-12 every other Saturday or 1 in 3 isn't that bad at all really,as they get to see there family's each night when they clock off from there long 8-5 day.

A good friend of mine is a BMW tech and works every other Saturday and has done for years and he doesn't complain about doing 8-12 as the jobs they do are usually quick jobs like brakes or basic services.

So instead of making cantankerous comments like the above and trying to piss people off like iv seen you do in other posts,try and think there might be a reason why I'm slightly miffed they don't offer some sort of service on a Saturday morning to accommodate those who are not fortunate to attend a weekday service slot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my AT from WIgan Honda. OK, the sales guy was quite new, but he explained that straight off, so the "I'll ask my manager" routine was all part of the deal. They did me a favour and jiggled the figures round on my P-X Cross Dresser and managed to get me a deal as I not had the VFR a long time and the collateral wasn't in may favour.
We had a few teething troubles, but it got sorted.
Yes, I'm a tad miffed that they don't have a service dept open on a Saturday, but **** happens. I make allowances.
The local dealer to me TOLD me I'd have to wait a month because they were busy! No slack, no help, no ****!
If you don't like it, find another dealer. I agree with Davy F. Sorry mate but on this one he's spot on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts