Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
Any AT owners ridden the southern section of the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland yet? I'm planning a trip in early October and have the route and highlights marked, looking for recommendations for motorcycle friendly accommodation around Kinsale?

Fabulous website from Visit Ireland and lots of internet research but nothing interesting like a traditional Pub with nice rooms or staying in a Castle has come up?

Any riders with experience?

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did it about 6 years ago...before it had the fancy name but the same great roads and typical Irish hospitality...i.e everywhere we went was bike friendly. We stayed in Clonakilty here...
http://www.macliamlodge.com/
It was superb. We didn't look for unique (expensive) places, just good, clean and hospitable.
Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it about 6 years ago...before it had the fancy name but the same great roads and typical Irish hospitality...i.e everywhere we went was bike friendly. We stayed in Clonakilty here...
http://www.macliamlodge.com/
It was superb. We didn't look for unique (expensive) places, just good, clean and hospitable.
Good luck
Looks a great tip thank you. And 4.6 on Trip Advisor.

I checked out Adventure Bike Rider recommendations and they listed Kenmare as a good base for a few days doing the southern section of the WAW. So I think I have found somewhere to stay there, just waiting for them to confirm.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Very much looking forward to the trip, Visit Ireland has a great site for planning and several guide books from friends have joined my planning pile.

?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I done the middle section last year on my African Twin.it was wet most of the time but the twin loved it.parts of it are probably some of the best scenery in the world.little gems.i wouldn’t worry bout places to stay most are very good.infact b+b can be very homely in and helpful compared to yr bigger and more exspensive hotel.look up booking.com as u go.will give what is available and star rate and u can read people’s reviews.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I done the middle section last year on my African Twin.it was wet most of the time but the twin loved it.parts of it are probably some of the best scenery in the world.little gems.i wouldn’t worry bout places to stay most are very good.infact b+b can be very homely in and helpful compared to yr bigger and more exspensive hotel.look up booking.com as u go.will give what is available and star rate and u can read people’s reviews.
Cheers.
Stuart

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well have you anything to report? Have you gone and done it? I'm planning hoping next year doing the outline over a few days with 3 friends. Accommodation is usually acceptable and prices depends on what you want. I was in Athlone over the weekend and can recommend the Athlone Springs. I can also recommend the Leenaun Hotel in Connemara which I done in September and the Newport Hotel which I stayed in in August. This allowed me routes in and around Achill Island.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well have you anything to report? Have you gone and done it? I'm planning hoping next year doing the outline over a few days with 3 friends. Accommodation is usually acceptable and prices depends on what you want. I was in Athlone over the weekend and can recommend the Athlone Springs. I can also recommend the Leenaun Hotel in Connemara which I done in September and the Newport Hotel which I stayed in in August. This allowed me routes in and around Achill Island.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Currently here in Kenmare about to start Day 2 of riding. Did Priests Leap yesterday and will do Conor Pass today as I am collecting ABRs highest roads in UK and GB.

Stunning scenery, fantastic smooth roads, friendly people, great cakes, lovely food, views are breathtakingly beautiful and roads (October) empty. Gorgeous post storm sunshine and superb autumn light for photography. OK so I haven't fully reflected on it yet, but certainly amongst the most beautiful places I have visited.

I'll write more as a post trip review and my thoughts on planning for others upon return to UK later in the week.

Regards

Stuart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts