Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, has anyone tried loading an AT into a T5 Transporter? Obviously the screen would have to come off, I have loaded XT600's, TTR250's and DRZ400Z, but the AT is far more unwieldy than any of those and I don't want to risk getting stuck on the ramp if someone has already tried and failed!

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
My T5 has 120 cm height (by 140 cm wide) tail gate (it's a California Beach, but dimensions should be very similar to the Transporter). If I'm not mistaken the AT's handlebar height is around 140 cm, so I think it won't enter in the van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I thought I had read that it was possible, but I havent been able to find that reference again, I might have to consider taking the front wheel out.
Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think the Transporter are done in two heights: the standard (private use, like mine) and the higher (commercial transport vehicle). I'm sure with the higher version you won't have any problem loading an AT on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, sorry I haven't logged in for months!
Just updating this for the benefit of anyone doing a search for the same question - yes an AT will fit in a T5, the screen will need to come off and the forks will need to be raised in the yokes as far as possible before you hit the waisted part and there's nothing to clamp to. It will be very close and you may still have to compress the forks slightly to wriggle it under the lip of tailgate. I used a cam strap looped round the lower yoke and one of the brake calipers to compress the forks slightly. Taking the bike out is slightly harder as you don't have the benefit of an engine in reverse!
Cheers Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts