Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering enlarging my skid plate to something that will also give protection to the side cases, but I'm on a budget.

From the photos it seems that the ATAS skid plate is quite larger that the 2016 regular skid plate. Seeing that they have the same engine (and similar frame), I was wondering if the anchor points are similar too, which will enable fitting the larger one on my older bike...

Anyone compared the two skid plates?

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aftermarket AT skidplates will fit the ATAS, so the mounting points are the same except the "wings" of the ATAS OEM skidplate also connect to the OEM ATAS lightbar. The "wings" are also just riveted on, so while it looks like it provides more protection, I'm not sure how much help it would actually be against a large rock. Might be worth just saving up for a while and going with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just posted above the honda original PDF ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm considering enlarging my skid plate to something that will also give protection to the side cases, but I'm on a budget.

From the photos it seems that the ATAS skid plate is quite larger that the 2016 regular skid plate. Seeing that they have the same engine (and similar frame), I was wondering if the anchor points are similar too, which will enable fitting the larger one on my older bike...

Anyone compared the two skid plates?
You don’t want it. Mine bent on my first encounter with rocks. I’ve ordered an Outback Motortek replacement. The OEM skid plates and bars are junk. Riveted skid plate instead of welds and the bars are rubber mounted so in a tip over they flex into your fairing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You don’t want it. Mine bent on my first encounter with rocks. I’ve ordered an Outback Motortek replacement. The OEM skid plates and bars are junk. Riveted skid plate instead of welds and the bars are rubber mounted so in a tip over they flex into your fairing.
yep, this exactly, i tipped mine over and the so called skid plate bent.

love my B&B Off Road Dakar Bash Plate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Stock protection is flimsy. I was also on a budget but money invested in protecting your engine is a high priority. Do it once, properly. B&B, SW-Motech, Outback Motortek etc. I still need to buy better riding gear to protect myself but the bike comes out easily susceptible to damage. In hindsight, other brands stock protection looks barely passable. So paying for good aftermarket stuff is worth it's weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up going with the black steel heed plate. That way I was sure it's a good fit with my Heed bunker bars.

I got the steel because I'm cheap, and only after I received it I realised it is significantly heavier than the small aluminium oem plate. But no worries, first thing I did was check if can pop a wheelie, and I'm happy to say that I feel no difference in riding or wheelies with the heavier plate :D

I guess that what will suffer most the additional plate + bars weight (I think they are at least 10 kilos together), is the suspension. I've already blown a fork seal once, when bottoming out, I guess I'll have to dial up the compression damping whenever off-roading to avoid further issues.
Today for the first time I also measured the sag setting on both front and rear, and discovered as others have that I need full preload on both, and still am not on the 30% sag point (I was hoping the bike will think I'm 75 kilos, even though the scales show closer to 90 with gear :wink2:). Perhaps some day I'll get stiffer springs, if I feel issues.

Here are a few pics of the bash plate from all sides, so you get to see what it looks like installed and compared to OEM.
While I was at it (i.e. the careless paypal buying button it), I bought myself a pair of heed bar bags too...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts