Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because on the world Honda page they have a statistic up that claims the majority of shoppers on DCT optional bikes are taking DCT. Its a slim margin, but still a majority...

Honda has sold over 35,000 DCT-equipped machines in Europe since its 2010 introduction and in 2015 more people (53% of the total) have chosen DCT over a standard manual transmission on the models (VFR1200X Crosstourer, VFR1200F, NC750X and NC750S) which feature it as an option. The Africa Twin comes with the option of a new evolution of DCT which includes specific off-road capabilities.
http://world.honda.com/news/2015/2150512CRF1000L-Africa-Twin/index.html

·
Registered
197 Posts
Count me in for a DCT equipped CRF1000L - though I hope a foot shift lever option is available as it is for the NC700 and maybe CTX700 models.

I do know that about half the European VFR1200X Crosstourer riders choose DCT equipped bikes. And, that 96% of new cars sold in the US (2013) are equipped with automatic transmissions. I wonder why that is...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Count me in for a DCT equipped CRF1000L - though I hope a foot shift lever option is available as it is for the NC700 and maybe CTX700 models.

I do know that about half the European VFR1200X Crosstourer riders choose DCT equipped bikes. And, that 96% of new cars sold in the US (2013) are equipped with automatic transmissions. I wonder why that is...
its my hope that because they're offering both it will be one set of pegs/levers, no need for addition after the fact. Rumoured at $13K, yea that would be nice...

·
Registered
197 Posts
its my hope that because they're offering both it will be one set of pegs/levers, no need for addition after the fact. Rumoured at $13K, yea that would be nice...
Given what we (think we) know now, and comparing a NC700XD at $8200 to a $13K base price plus $1000 for DCT for a CRF1000F, I'm not sure the added value is there to justify the extra $6K cost. The NC700XD has ABS and the auto tranny. Same as CFR1000F DCT, that picks up 50+ HP, loses 75 pounds, adds traction control, probably switchable power output levels, better suspension, and wire wheels. As nice as those features are, for value alone, $13K seems a little greedy to me. But I feel the same way about the VStrom 1000 priced in that range so maybe I'm just cheap. Or maybe I recognize that by the time you walk out of the dealership with a $14,000 (MSRP) motorcycle, with fees, taxes, license, etc. you will be lucky to have an invoice under $16000.

The DCT foot shift device is a stock looking lever/rod assembly that operates a switch wired in between the paddle shifters and DCT controller, so it isn't something that works on both standard and DCT models. Honda sells it in Japan and some other countries as an optional accessory. IMO, it should be standard and the paddles should be optional.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts