Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Woohoo!!!!

Troll Bait!!!!

Please don't feed the troll! If you search the OPs other threads, comments, thats all they seem to do is bait people saying mostly negative things bout the AT....

Just thought I'd add a cool AT action shot...

Looks like this new bike from KTM very closely competes with new AT.
Way more power, way bigger tank, lighter, probably better off-road as well, so why would chose AT
anyway?

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems indeed that the new KTM is a direct response to the AT. About the same price, but you get the crash bars included. Nonetheless, the bigger fuel tanks is because the KTM is a gas guzzler. Therefore you won't go necessarily farther with the KTM. It will only cost more fuel. ;-) Expect to burn 50% more fuel. Power doesn't come for free. 125hp vs 100hp is not the end of the world when torque is what matter most off road. I also wonder what will be the cost of maintenance on the KTM.

What about the network of dealers when you need parts?

Reactions: DaBar and keno351

·
Registered
59 Posts
Reliability is why I went with ANOTHER Honda. When i'm out where there are no dealers, I want the most reliable thing out there. HP is way more than I need. Hard to say that the KTM isn't a sweet bike with an advantage in almost all performance areas. BUT no DCT. Not for all, but so far, I fricken love it!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Because my dealer who sells both Red and Orange recommended the Africa Twin over the orange one, which won't be available in Canada until late May at the earliest.

Another dealer that sells Orange, Green & Blue was pretty emphatic - 1190 had a number of widely reported reliability 'issues' and would be dropped to end the bad press - the EU 1050 updated to address the 'issues' - and released as a 1090, a 'clean sheet' that 'should' be great because Chris Birch had input to the 1090.

Now I look back and see the Troll comments - apologies for continuing this thread.

·
Registered
295 Posts
See a normal person who wasn't trolling would simply ask; "It would appear the KTM 1090 is direct competitor to the Honda Africa Twin. Its priced lower, it has a larger tank, and its lighter. What would be the advantage to the Africa Twin over the KTM?"

Thats how someone who isn't trolling would post something. Then to add in "probably better off-road as well" is just pure trolling... Don't be a douche...

I smell idiots.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Robson,

I have a foot in both camps, but I must agree with you, its the dog's danglies. Most KTMs are over priced however I think they pitched this one to maintain a commanding position in the sector and imho it will see the AT off.
Having said that I like my Tri colour manual, I had to sort my spokes myself, however Honda replaced the left switch cluster. KTM can be difficult too.

M

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like good competition for the AT. The 21" front wheel will appeal to the 'off road' adventurers and the adjustable screen might give Honda an idea! Anything which keeps Honda on their toes in terms of price and specs has got to be welcomed. I'd still go for the AT, partly for aesthetics, partly for Honda reliability, but the 1090R looks like a seriously attractive package too.

BTW, as this forum section is about the AT vs the competition, accusations of trolling may be a tad hasty. In fairness to Robson, he invites the question 'why choose the AT?' I'm sure there will be plenty of answers......but, hey, fellas, keep the banter friendly and polite......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would be somewhat surprised if the '1000's of people who bought AT's would sell or trade them on a bike that is not available yet.
At least the new AT has got other companies thinking but wonder how many more will Honda sell today (plenty)
Someone is probably signing on the line this very second.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I considered it, but unfortunately my only local KTM dealer is ****. And to be honest, I've just always preferred Honda anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I considered it, but unfortunately my only local KTM dealer is ****. And to be honest, I've just always preferred Honda anyway.
I removed the end of my last post.
Some years ago KTM Australia complained to KTM Austria that people were buying parts from the USA because they were being robbed here.
No shipping to Australian addresses but folk just got got people state side to post parts on.
They dropped the prices here by I think some 40% in the end.

I would rather walk in the rain with a AT windscreen on my head than buy a KTM based on that and put my money ($18528) where my mouth was.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I were to be honest, and I was looking for an ADV bike today, the KTM 1090 would be high on the list for sure. I'd probably still get the AT though. I think the KTM would be cool for those who intend ride a combination of dirt and tarmac because an extra 25-30hp will give you a more thrilling ride on the sealed roads for sure. But I have a dedicated road bike for tarmac and bought the AT to ride for hundreds and thousands of km on Aussie dirt - so personally I doubt if I'd ever need that extra power. I've also no doubt that the new KTM will be an excellent performer off road thanks to KTM's dirt pedigree. The 1090 looks set to be priced at $A20,000, that's around three grand more than the comparable AT with TC and ABS, and two grand more than the DCT model. But don't forget that the KTM comes with crash bars fitted as standard, and WP suspension - which along with the extra power keeps it pretty competitive on initial price. The costs of servicing and spares, however, are another matter and KTM Australia have quite a track record when it comes to expensive parts! But if I were in the market today I think it would be a much tougher decision than when I bought the AT this time last year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the 1090, (even though its a 1050?) I like the standard tires they offer, I like the lower weight. I like the tubeless wheels and tires. This bike is serious competition for the AT. However I like so much about the AT and the DCT that I would have still choose it. The 1090 is a couple grand more than an AT. That's a lot of farkles on a bike. AND I am loving the DCT. Six of one or half a dozen of the other.

On the other hand I wonder if KTM will ever get an air filter that doesn't leak and let dust into the engine. Even though this bike is less weight than the bigger 1190 they left off items to make it lighter like a center stand. Guess that doesn't matter in a comparo with the AT because it doesn't have one either.

Big deals to me - low seat height, Honda reliability, DCT, I would have took a hard look at the 1090, actually the only bike that for me would have been a contender to the AT.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I smell a troll.
I think robson has a valid point

Having an open forum is always good. I don't think we should live in our "Africa Twin is way the bestest bike in the whole universe" bubble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thinking a legit question. I have owned a 1190R and a 1190S. Both were intolerable to ride in the summer. That rear cylinder puts out a lot of heat. I'm sure the 1090 with be the same. Six CPUs is a little excessive in any bike, the AT is simple. I liked the tubeless wheels. Reliability for the KTM is questionable, the Honda is not. The AT is the Three Bears story, it is just right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi Robson,

HiI have a foot in both camps, but I must agree with you, its the dog's danglies. Most KTMs are over priced however I think they pitched this one to maintain a commanding position in the sector and imho it will see the AT off.
Having said that I like my Tri colour manual, I had to sort my spokes myself, however Honda replaced the left switch cluster. KTM can be difficult too.

M
Hi, exactly what I meant. Besides,
I don't know where are you all live but I seen plenty of KTM dealers all over the world while travelling, they usually more expensive in everything but I don't see problems with service.
Another thing, sorry but honda reliability doesn't convince me anymore, it simply not that obvious today while KTM reliability is better and better every year. You usually get more with
ktm anyway, at least complete and functional tool pack...and yes honda is maybe is cheaper to buy but you have to add a lot to make it functional off-road.

p.s
BTW DCT comment is ridiculous, who would want that in dirt oriented touring bike...:surprise: you want road tourer get crosstourer with DCT, tubeless tyres and shaft.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts