Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being winter over here (or down here) in the southern part of Aus I found I was suffering from the buffering and coldness of the wind onto my shoulders while riding my new ATAS. Even though the OEM screen provided a large degree of protection (I'm average height at 5'10) I could feel the 'push' and pressure of the wind against the top portion of my shoulders. Solution, I hand crafted a set of upper wind deflectors, attached them to the front and have noticed a big difference. They're a re-modelling of the OEM ones available. Fantastic and highly recommend you purchase a set of the Honda originals or if you're handy enough and have the equipment, make a set of your own. (TIP - insert a small but thick rubber washer behind the deflector to ensure it doesn't come into contact with the fairing. I think this also helps to alter the airflow). The haziness in the rider photo is only due to the angle of the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm sure you're right, I also have the rubber deflectors a little lower between the red decal and the word Africa, they seem to work well too, but I do feel the tank on the ATAS being wider helps a lot,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Google "Forkshield-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L"
This forum will not let me post the link since I am a new user but that should get you there.

I just put this on my AT and love it. It works. With the stock windshield it is smooth air. There is a lot of wind that comes up through the tank by the forks. This stops it and buffeting is gone. Worth the cost and looks good also.

Lee

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being winter over here (or down here) in the southern part of Aus I found I was suffering from the buffering and coldness of the wind onto my shoulders while riding my new ATAS. Even though the OEM screen provided a large degree of protection (I'm average height at 5'10) I could feel the 'push' and pressure of the wind against the top portion of my shoulders. Solution, I hand crafted a set of upper wind deflectors, attached them to the front and have noticed a big difference. They're a re-modelling of the OEM ones available. Fantastic and highly recommend you purchase a set of the Honda originals or if you're handy enough and have the equipment, make a set of your own. (TIP - insert a small but thick rubber washer behind the deflector to ensure it doesn't come into contact with the fairing. I think this also helps to alter the airflow). The haziness in the rider photo is only due to the angle of the photo.
Hello Dutchie, I think what you've made is exactly what I need! I get bad buffeting on my shoulders, even with my MadStad windscreen (this cut down the buffeting a HUGE amount, but it's still bad, even with Fork Tunnels. I have the 20" screen, as I'm 6'-3" with a 34 pants inseam). I tried to coax MadStad to make something like you have. Have you made modifications to your deflectors? Do you still use them? Would you be able to make a template of them, and post it here or send it to me, with some more photos? Did you put a "bend" into the deflector, or is it just flat?

I love the bike, but I'm at wit's end with the noise. I am seriously thinking of selling it, as I am sure it's causing me more hearing problems than I already have. Yes, I know bikes are noisy, but this is truly deafening, and my ears ring for days (added to my existing tinnitus issue), and some will say that if I want a big windshield, I should just drive a car. I love bikes, but don't want to live my remaining years with very limited hearing!

So, the wind hits my shoulders and buffets around, and I think it's coming from around the handguards and signal indicator, below the widened out windscreen of the MadStad (I recommend it...it's not all that attractive, but it sure helps with the noise, and that constant "banging on my helmet, 8 times a second." It's not the helmet...(Shoei RF-SR, or Arai Vector 2).

I need help, and hope you can assist me!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love the bike, but I'm at wit's end with the noise.

I need help, and hope you can assist me!
I assume you've been researching and tried the fork tunnel cover fix?

You are tall so you may want to try less barn door by removing all windshields to see if you can be up in full, clean air when seated; you know, like when standing on the pegs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have probably been told this before but if I knew my hearing was deteriorating I would ride with foam earplugs or give up riding. Not worth the risk
Mike
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. Yes, I have the SwegoTech Fork Tunnel shield, mounted on the tank. Yes, I wear good ear plugs, and am also considering a totally different bike (Honda F6B), and even giving up riding completely, which breaks my heart. I agree -- my hearing isn't worth the risk. I've put my head in the clean air above and beside the windshield, but found that still noisy -- I think it's all of the turbulent air coming off of the windshield. I wear either a Shoei RF-SR or an Arai Vector 2, and have borrowed an HJC. I haven't taken the shield off completely.

In the last couple of days, I've been experimenting with widening my already-wide 20" MadStad windscreen. You can see how wide it is compared to the stock screen on the 2019 AT (non-AS). I put strips of heavy cardboard I cut out from a three ring binder, and attached them with spring clips with the rubber protectors on the business end. This widened the screen nearly 2", and only near the bottom. This blocks the wind in the tunnel area above and behind the headlights -- I think that's where I'm getting the turbulence from, anyhow. It looked ridiculous, but I was only on country roads.

There is hope! Things were immensely more quiet, although I still had buffeting coming off my helmet. I will keep experimenting and report back. I am looking at some side deflectors, although see there are mixed reviews on them.

Mike, I've seen your name in lots of forums, know you've tried many things, and wonder if you've cured your noise problem on the AT? If so, what did you do?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you are talking about noise then the answer for me was/is earplugs that fit and that are inserted rolled up and wet so they almost touch my ear -drum. This is the only way you can get the 34 decibel noise reduction. If you don't do this, the noise reduction is pretty poor. (And we could have a whole other conversation on moulded plugs and various different types, but please guys put that on another thread, as the poster asked me if I had succeeded with the noise problem, and I'm suggesting that if he is using rollable foam plugs that fit his ear canals and they are inserted properly, he will cure the noise problem).
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Mike, I think the noise is due to the turbulence created from the wind that passes around the headlights, deflects up, and catches me in the chest and shoulders, AND/OR it passes by the mirror and handguards. I have ordered mirror extensions to move the mirrors out, which should help with both noise, and not just seeing my shoulders in the mirrors. Also, there are many posts on the mirror and handguards.

I do have good foam plugs, rolled up etc., and also a set of custom-made plugs from a hearing clinic. I do know there are other posts, but a word of advice: some plugs are one-size-fits-all, and my ear canals are larger than these plugs, so they don't provide a good reduction in noise.

Sorry, I thought you were the person who had tried about four different windscreens, Batzen mounts, Swegotech Fork tunnels, upper wind deflectors, etc., and was at wit's end!

Anyhow, I'm learning that others are solving their problems, so there's hope. I will let you know what I learn.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hello Mike, I think the noise is due to the turbulence created from the wind that passes around the headlights, deflects up, and catches me in the chest and shoulders, AND/OR it passes by the mirror and handguards. I have ordered mirror extensions to move the mirrors out, which should help with both noise, and not just seeing my shoulders in the mirrors. Also, there are many posts on the mirror and handguards.

I do have good foam plugs, rolled up etc., and also a set of custom-made plugs from a hearing clinic. I do know there are other posts, but a word of advice: some plugs are one-size-fits-all, and my ear canals are larger than these plugs, so they don't provide a good reduction in noise.

Sorry, I thought you were the person who had tried about four different windscreens, Batzen mounts, Swegotech Fork tunnels, upper wind deflectors, etc., and was at wit's end!

Anyhow, I'm learning that others are solving their problems, so there's hope. I will let you know what I learn.
yes that's a great point about the rollable foam earplugs. A person has to experiment with different sizes and types of foam. My ear canals are the opposite of yours - they are narrow - and if I use standard cylindrical yellow ones they hurt after an hour. And my left canal is more twisted than the right and it takes more patience to get the plug fully home.
Yes I did try just about every add-on but if I said I was at my wit's end, I should have corrected myself. Once I found the Madstad screen, the other stuff became irrelevant and transformed the bike into a great long distance tourer.
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes that's a great point about the rollable foam earplugs. A person has to experiment with different sizes and types of foam. My ear canals are the opposite of yours - they are narrow - and if I use standard cylindrical yellow ones they hurt after an hour. And my left canal is more twisted than the right and it takes more patience to get the plug fully home.
Yes I did try just about every add-on but if I said I was at my wit's end, I should have corrected myself. Once I found the Madstad screen, the other stuff became irrelevant and transformed the bike into a great long distance tourer.
Mike
I where custom earplugs and am able to leave them in my ears all day with "0" irritation. Youcan usually find ear plug booths at M/C show, rallies etc.
Dudley

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is great news that you've found your fix for turbulence and buffetting. I hope I'm able to solve the extreme noise problem. My 20" Madstad screen is a good start, but I need something more.
Happy riding and thanks for the advice!
The most noise I hear is the noise from the intakes. Wind noise is on all my bikes. Buffeting on all bikes with a windshield. I don't know how to mitigate buffeting other than to minimize it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.