Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some turbulence from to the side of the helmet so i have made these deflectors (just at the early stages). I have just tried them out over 300miles and they are a great job. I would now need some advise on how to get the aesthetics right to suite the bike. I can ride with the visor up and with the internal sun visor down which for me is great. Open for any comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Everybody tries to reduce helmet buffeting by putting on taller screens, but it didn't get better for me until I tried a V-stream, which is wider at the top. So you're on the right track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah the buffeting really bothers me on the highway too, I'm looking into all kinds of screens, but your solution seem to nail the root of the problem - side wind. If you could make a foldable solution that's more easy on the eyes I would buy it in an instant 😄.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
859 Posts
Reactions: dan360

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I think you are on the right lines DFB - the forkshield made no difference to the buffeting for me even though others swear by them.
The Madstad wider screen solves most of the problem (but currently they don't make it for the new 1100 bikes), and I think deflectors on the mirrors would cure the remaining gripe for me. I've got no idea how you would make them look part of the bike though 🤔
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are on the right lines DFB - the forkshield made no difference to the buffeting for me even though others swear by them.
The Madstad wider screen solves most of the problem (but currently they don't make it for the new 1100 bikes), and I think deflectors on the mirrors would cure the remaining gripe for me. I've got no idea how you would make them look part of the bike though 🤔
Mike
You know of this right, Forkshield --- The updraft deflector for your Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L to reduce helmet vibrations caused by buffeting

It was not so much the buffeting with the standard screen but just to cut the wind noise down as much as possible.

Yea it is trying to get it to look right but the next time you are out place your hand pointing upwards on the bars somewhere in the same place as i have these deflectors fixed just to you see you it makes a world of difference. These ones that i have made are on a couple of mirror brackets that i had lying around so it is just a mater of loosening the screw and taking them off, but for longer journeys i would have issues with having them on. The way that they are on the handle bard do not restrict the turning in any way.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
426 Posts
DFB,

I believe that there is the UK a company called Powerbronze they make all kind of screens by themselves may be then can make something for you.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
581 Posts
This works for me with the seat in highest position
on windy days you can with one hand i just make it completely vertical i have no buffering what so ever in the open ADV type helmet i am wearing
height 183 centimeters = 6.00393701 feet (6 feet 3⁄64 inch)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Different things obviously work for different people (height, width, trunk length, helmet choice), but I already worked out that the turbulence for me is coming from exactly the area that it is for DFB (the Original Poster). I have the Honda upper wind deflectors and even though they were only 70 quid rather than the 142 they seem to be asking now, they made no difference. I have an original Swegotech fork shield and that made no difference, I tried the Honda touring screen, I tried the vario lips on both the standard and touring screens and I even tried them fastened to the sides of the screen, I tried the batzen screen risers, and none of these worked. I tried riding without a screen at all and that worked.
I worked out that the problem is the narrowness of any screen that has to fit the Honda fairings and allow the handlebars to turn with the knuckle guards on. So I invested in a Madstad screen which is about 4 inches wider but works because the Madstad mount moves it forwards. This solves the problem 80% for me and Madstad said they would make a special screen for me even wider, but it would cost an arm and a leg and only get me a little bit more width.
DFB's mirror deflectors are in exactly the right position (for me), but I can't see people wanting to ride around with the looks of the bike spoiled in this way. Maybe alternative (streamlined?) mirrors could be tried, but one of the things Honda have got right on both the At and the NC750, are mirrors that work, so we'd be swapping them for an unknown. Still worth experimenting with though.
Mike

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
346 Posts
@DFB - if you ever need a teleprompter for vlogging you are set!

On a more serious not, I've gone through a lot of windscreens on both my 2018 and 2020 ATAS. The updraft deflector helped on both (the one @rustynut2 mentions). This helped and was cheap. I also tried the little wind visor/wing that @Svendus references on both bikes. This helped quite a bit and had a lot of adjustability for the airflow so I could easily change it on mood. In the end the MRA Vario screen that was slightly wider and with a visor, has been my best option on both bike. It works better on the 2018 than the 2020. I think the 2018 version is slightly wider. I am 186cm tall (6'1") and have a tall seated height.

I tried other screens on both bikes and ended up with the MRA Vario Touring for my 2020 ATAS. My bike is at Madstad now and they are using it for a test mule to create a screen for the 2020 ATAS. If it is better than the MRA, I'll be impressed. I also added the little wind wings in the area @DoubleThumper references on my 2020. Each thing had an incremental improvement. For me, the best bang for the buck was the little wind spoiler attachment to the stock screen. It was like $30 and worked very well. It took a few runs to dial it it in but that work also helped setting up the MRA very quickly as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all,

I've had extreme buffeting and wind noise problems, as well. I have a 2019 AT (not the AS). I'm 6'3" with the seat in the high position. Similarly, I've considered selling my bike many times.

I was hoping to see that someone had found a magic solution to this, as I know that some of you have spent a bundle trying to fix the problem. I'm intrigued by DFB's solution, and wonder if he developed it further. I wonder how Wavshrdr
found the MadStad vs. the MRA Vario Touring screen.

I wear custom ear plugs and good helmets (Shoei RF-SR and Arai Vector II). However, the wind roar is immense, particularly with side winds. I have swapped out the cheek pads on the Shoei for thicker ones, use a chin curtain, to ensure the wind isn't entering in these locations.

I have the SwegoTech Fork Dam and a 20" Madstad (the middle size). I put them on at the same time, so I don't know which one helped more, but they both dramatically improved the buffeting and noise. However, it's still very bad, particularly on windy days with cross-winds.

I can't really tell where the turbulent air is coming from. I've tried moving my hands all over the place, and around my helmet (thinking it was coming off of a back vent or something), scrunching up my jacket, tucking in behind the windscreen...feeling up high, to the sides, down low. I dunno.

I find the MadStad works best for me when it is as vertical as I can get it, and as low as it will go. This makes me think that a wider screen at the bottom would be helpful -- the MadStad is far wider than stock, but maybe even wider would help.

I have temporarily attached stiff cardboard (from the inside of a three-ring binder) with spring clamps, to the lower SIDES of the MadStad Screen, and I do think it helped. The cardboard projected out about 1.5" or 2", widening the screen by 3 or 4". I was tempted to attach the adjustable air louvres (spoiler deflector) to the sides, as well to further test that theory. (I would first attach my Camel screen brace, as I'm sure that there'd be far too much stress on the OEM brace.

I'm considering drilling new holes in the MadStad to mount it lower (to get more screen WIDTH down lower), which might shift the air coming from around the fairing, past the mirrors and signals. Then, I'd add an adjustable louver at the top to compensate for the lost height of the windscreen. I've even considered making my own windshield, by curving a thin plywood form, and laying a piece of acrylic on top, and gently heating it.

I have some Puig handguard extensions to try when they arrive, which wrap around the existing handguards, giving about 1.5" more at the top and bottom. Also, I am waiting for mirror extensions to get the mirrors out a little wider (I needt these anyhow, as 50% of the mirror is used to see my shoulders).

I love the bike, but it's the noise that's making me not like it! My hearing comes first!

Failing a wonderful fix tor the noise, there was a beautiful Yamaha Super Tenere for sale at the local shop... but I'm sure they have their noise problems, too.

Any ideas/solutions are welcome. I'm not ready for a Gold Wing, but I do admit I like the Honda Gold Wing F6B...
I've ridden naked bikes, but I haven't tried the AT without a screen yet...maybe that's the solution.

Thank you to you all, and happy riding.

·
Super Moderator
9,628 Posts
That is a lot of investigation @Bill 2019 AT.

I have the same year/model as you and I am a wee bit shorter. I use the N20058 VStream screen and the "fork dam". I have also used the Batzen to extend the shield vertically. I wear whatever earplug I have lying around at the time of the ride (whatever my fingers can find first). My helmet also makes a difference (e.g. full-face vs. ADV full-face) and of course I notice the noise impediment worse when freeway riding. I believe the noise is lower with the said combination, but maybe only 75 to 90% improved. It seems to vary, maybe like you said regarding those side winds.

Would I like it better? Yes. Is it good enough for me? Yes. One thing for sure is everybody's sensitivities are different. Nevertheless, I am always looking to improve the experience but I didn't have high expectations on an ADV bike, nor when wearing an ADV helmet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts