Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a wind deflector on my 2019 AT and it has made very little difference to the amount of wind hitting my neck and causing a lot of wind noise going up in to my helmet.

There's a hell of a lot of air coming from each side just above the indicators around the gap where the hand guards go when the steering is in full lock. Are there any other kind of guards available to redirect the wind in that area without interfering with the steering?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I've installed a wind deflector on my 2019 AT and it has made very little difference to the amount of wind hitting my neck and causing a lot of wind noise going up in to my helmet.

There's a hell of a lot of air coming from each side just above the indicators around the gap where the hand guards go when the steering is in full lock. Are there any other kind of guards available to redirect the wind in that area without interfering with the steering?
This is what I use.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I confess that I haven't used a V-stream but IMHO it's not likely to solve the problem the OP describes. The turbulence is indeed coming from where he says, and most screens (including the OEM ones) have cut-outs to accomodate the knuckle guards when on full lock. I am sure it's the narrowness of the screen at these points that causes the problem. Madstad seem to think so too, as they make their screens considerably wider at the base, and move it forwards on their screen mounting frame so that the knuckle guards don't collide with it. For me it's the only thing that has worked (tried vario lips, taller screens, fork shields etc). Even so it's not perfect, and I think the Madstad should be around 100mm wider at the base (ie 2 inches each side). Madstad said they would make me one but it was going to be too much money.
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am 6 feet tall and found installing the Honda tall windshield and upper wind deflectors on the Africa Twin Honda Power Sports accessories page made a big difference for me.
I am 6 feet tall and found installing the Honda tall windshield and upper wind deflectors on the Africa Twin Honda Power Sports accessories page made a big difference for me.
It made a big difference for me as well. I bought the upper wind deflectors first. It helped but wanted to remove more, so I bought taller windscreen and use it in the upper position when traveling over 55 mph (I am 6'2"). I chose the national because it is wider at the top compared to the OEM. Also, the additional benefit I got was when the wife rides 2up she was leaning around to talk and now she don't have to. We can carry a conversation at 60 mph. with no Cardo needed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
This is what I did to solve this issue. It works fine. It removed the air pressure from my shoulders. In conjunction with the fork shield, it improves the situation drastically.

Hint: Puig sells also some handguard extensions. DO NOT get tempted and buy them. Due to their shape they direct huge amount of air to the shoulders. I removed them after trying them out.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
This is what I did to solve this issue. It works fine. It removed the air pressure from my shoulders. In conjunction with the fork shield, it improves the situation drastically.

Hint: Puig sells also some handguard extensions. DO NOT get tempted and buy them. Due to their shape they direct huge amount of air to the shoulders. I removed them after trying them out.
Thanks for the advise. I was looking hard at them after the post above. It was for reducing the chill on the back side of my hands and keep the air from coming up into my cuff.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
49 Posts
Sorry I Don’t own an Africa Twin (yet) but when I test rode an ATAS DCT I too was disappointed with the wind protection, so I started researching this forum for input. I’m looking at:

Puig front wind deflectors

Puig upper deflectors

Puig lower deflectors

Swegotech forkshield

If you search “wind deflectors” on this forum there are lots of posts to look at and get information as well
I have a 2018 ATAS and I noticed a lot of wind buffeting my helmet at certain speeds despite the larger windshield. There was a lot of the air coming up from the forks. My first farkle I bought (when the bike was new) was the Swegotech and it made a huge difference. I thought $40 was a little high for a piece of plastic, but in the end was worth it. BTW I'm 5'10" and 176 #'s.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am very sensitive to buffeting and shaking of my helmet because I have three vertebrae in my neck fused and have some hardware in there. Constant shaking causes me nerve pain that radiates down my arm into my fingers. I installed the Swegotech deflector but it did not do much for me. I think it probably didn't do much because I have a large GIVI tank bag that already blocks a lot of air coming up.
I tried many different windscreens on my AT to find the best combination. The best I had found was the V-Stream installed with the Iconic adjustable bracket. I had tried the Puig and a couple of other windscreens before this. The V-Stream was pretty good but not perfect but the still air pocket was still pretty narrow and slight crosswinds did still shake my helmet quite a bit. I decided to try the MadStad adjustable mount and windscreen about 6 months ago. This was a total transformation as far as turbulence and head shake. The still air pocket is noticeably wider and crosswinds are not an issue now. A few weeks ago I took a 1200 mile ride and I don't think I ever closed my face shield the entire ride.
Being able to tilt the windscreen down at a lower angle seems to make the most difference and the visibility is very good over the top. It is not as aesthetically pleasing as other windscreens but it sure has worked for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The tank/fork deflector makes a big difference. Windshield deflector & side deflectors also help, but only a bit.

It also helps to cut down the windshield for cleaner airflow, find a helmet with a tight neck seal (some, modulars fit tighter than full-face) and wear earplugs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts