Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The highway wind noise is so loud I don't want to ride this bike fast. What's the best solution for the standard model? I want to use the bike for long distance touring and need to have good highway wind protection and bubble from noise. Here are the ones that I can find. I don't mind that its big I want it to be as quiet as possible. I'm 5'8". I am aware of the fork windgaurds but haven't tried it yet. I'm skeptical thats the issue. What worked and what didn't? Some of the beloved brands that worked really well at fixing the problem on the crf1000 don't yet make a screen for the standard models.

Touratech - Adventure Touring Windscreen, Honda Africa Twin CRF1100L / ADV Sports

MRA - MRA 4025066168958 VarioTouring Windshield for Honda CRF1100L / Adventure Sports | Accessories International

Givi touring - Givi D1179ST Specific Windshield, Transparent for Honda CRF1100L (2020-) | Accessories International

Puig - Puig Touring Windscreen Africa Twin 2020-2021 | 5% ($12.31) Off! - RevZilla

Ermax - Ermax Motorcycle Windshield Touring Screen Honda Africa Twin CRF1100L Adventure Sports 2020-

and the oem tall screen

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
514 Posts
I am also 5'8" and have the low seat, I tried the fork shield and it made no difference to me.

I got the OEM Tall screen and there is absolutely no noise now at all. Previously I had to take the peak off of my helmet as the buffeting at 70mph was so bad it made my vision bad. With the oem tall screen I have put the peak back on and it is great, I can even run at 70mph plus with the visor fully open and no noise. The only downside I have now is there is very little airflow with the visor fully closed and in the cold damp weather my specs can steam up so I have to crack the visor open one notch to clear them :D

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
514 Posts
..... it comes with the display visory as well which is neat.
Yes, I took mine off the last day to see if it would make any difference to the specs steaming up but it didn't, now I have to source some new tape to put it back on :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went for a ride today and man, the bike is basically unridable as is with the short windscreen. Even at 40 mph there is a ton of wind noise enough to ruin the ride and it gets worse and worse the faster you go. I really want to put a lot of miles on this bike but cant until this is fixed. I even removed the screen all together to see if it helps, which not much but it did a little. When i stand up the clean air isn't bad, or if i crouch down the short screen is okay, so hopefully the OEM tall screen works, looking it up it is 6.8" taller than the short one. For ear protection, I use airpods pro in noise cancelling mode and i have replaced the rubber tips with the foam sound blocking ones. I'm not sure if just regular ear plugs work better than this, but I listen for music and navigation as well.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
514 Posts
I don't think mine was that bad, then again I have a flip lid helmet (Schuberth E1) so they tend to be a bit quieter than a normal lid. It was more the buffeting that got to me.

·
Super Moderator
7,686 Posts
... For ear protection, I use airpods pro in noise cancelling mode and i have replaced the rubber tips with the foam sound blocking ones. I'm not sure if just regular ear plugs work better than this, but I listen for music and navigation as well.
In terms of day trips, how long will a charge last on the AirPods Pro in noise cancellation mode? Assume you ride about 8 hours throughout the day.

Are they the best in regards to putting/pulling the helmet off?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In terms of day trips, how long will a charge last on the AirPods Pro in noise cancellation mode? Assume you ride about 8 hours throughout the day.

They work about 5 hours in noise cancellation mode, and charge up in about 20 minutes when placed in their case. Easy to put a helmet on without them budging, just pull the straps outward as i put on the helmet to create a slot for my ears as i put it on. they never fall out while riding (i use the foam tips), there is some discomfort when i take off the helmet and they always fall off haha, so I actually bend over and take the helmet off so they fall into the helmet and not on the ground. I haven't used them on a call yet but I imagine the mic placement would be hard to hear on the other end but i do want to try it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the MRA Touring screen, it's too rounded in the longitudinal direction which made it about equal to the low original screen. Ironically standing up makes both the original and the MRA screen better, so both seem to cause turbulence that my helmet isn't bothered by in free air. The OEM short screen seems to launch turbulent air straight into my forehead/under my peak region.

So yay for this thread, let's see what others recommend.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
AT DCT XADV CT125
157 Posts
Im 5,7 and have the standard seat high position and the OEM High screen. I can ride with my Shoei neotec flip helmet open at 70 plus with ease. And i do suffer from tinitus so if it were bad my lug holes would tell me:)))

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 6.1 and the Wrs Capnord on my ATAS in the highest position. At 210 km/h with a Hjc Rpha 70 I didn't even need to lower the visor, just with the inner sun visor... Very good windscreen. 👍

·
Registered
26 Posts

Look into Shure SE series in-ear monitors, amazing stuff and it sits completely flat within the ear. I've been using them for ages now, first with a Shure bluetooth adapter, now with my Cardo. The foam tips are amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, the long OEM windshield is too narrow. I am using a Shoei Neotec II.

When I place a hand on the side of the shield, it reduces drastically the noise.

Because it is a little bit wider, I installed yesterday the touratec L windshield, but I did not test it up to now. It is very cold weather and the streets are salty at the moment.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
1 Posts
The highway wind noise is so loud I don't want to ride this bike fast. What's the best solution for the standard model? I want to use the bike for long distance touring and need to have good highway wind protection and bubble from noise. Here are the ones that I can find. I don't mind that its big I want it to be as quiet as possible. I'm 5'8". I am aware of the fork windgaurds but haven't tried it yet. I'm skeptical thats the issue. What worked and what didn't? Some of the beloved brands that worked really well at fixing the problem on the crf1000 don't yet make a screen for the standard models.

Powerbronze - HONDA ,CRF1100L AFRICA TWIN ADVENTURE SPORTS, 20-21 480-H110

Touratech - Adventure Touring Windscreen, Honda Africa Twin CRF1100L / ADV Sports

MRA - MRA 4025066168958 VarioTouring Windshield for Honda CRF1100L / Adventure Sports | Accessories International

Givi touring - Givi D1179ST Specific Windshield, Transparent for Honda CRF1100L (2020-) | Accessories International

Puig - Puig Touring Windscreen Africa Twin 2020-2021 | 5% ($12.31) Off! - RevZilla

Ermax - Ermax Motorcycle Windshield Touring Screen Honda Africa Twin CRF1100L Adventure Sports 2020-

and the oem tall screen
I have the MRA one. I am 6' 4" and it helps a TON!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me, the long OEM windshield is too narrow. I am using a Shoei Neotec II.

When I place a hand on the side of the shield, it reduces drastically the noise.

Because it is a little bit wider, I installed yesterday the touratec L windshield, but I did not test it up to now. It is very cold weather and the streets are salty at the moment.
I am also looking for something wider on my 2020 ATAS. I am 5.8. I have the Honda OEM air deflectors both upper and lower. They don’t do much. I am looking for something that will block more air from my shoulders. I have not purchased anything yet because nothing looks wider where it needs to be. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So, an update. I got the OEM tall Screen for the Standard model. the first test ride the wind buffeting was still horrible. This was really disappointing, but still a lot better than stock and did lift up the turbulent airstream quite a bit. So I purchased the little clip on spoiler you can get on amazon to see if that would help. I was pretty optimistic about it because it seemed the turbulent stream only needed to be a little higher. It worked really great! the buffeting was pretty much completely gone when positioned right. Bit it is right in the middle of your vision and you have to look through it. It broke immediately one of the locking joints fell apart and its totally broken while on the highway. Amazon is sending another but i will look into higher quality options.
Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive design Flooring Luggage and bags Audio equipment Eyewear

at the same time I also received the laminar lip for the Africa twin that. I was going on a 400 mile ride and without much time to prepare i slapped it on there and figured it would probably do the trick. I'm pretty sure it made things worse unless you put it all the way at the top of the windshield (that actually works great there is no buffeting on the helmet like that position) but you have to look through it completely. additionally the curvature doesn't fit the newer model its probably made for the older AT model even though they say 2016+ and so the stickers didn't really adhere to the windscreen well. and halfway through the trip the lip flew off and was never seen again. when this happened the OEM tall windshield by itself was actually performing quite well and I didn't have any issues the rest of the ride home. Which made me think the first test ride with it by itself the wind conditions may have been poor and it performs a bit better than I initially thought. Also I am using a different helmet than that day and maybe that is a factor.

With the laminair lip
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Ecoregion

The tall OEM screen with a spoiler would be a pretty great option I think, but a wider windscreen would probably be better. I also ordered the wind deflectors OEM for the standard model, to see if this helps the shoulder winds. Also ordered the leg deflectors, because there is a lot of air that comes up from your legs and i think that may help.

Ideally I can find a little shorter screen than the tall OEM screen that is also wider, so if a spoiler is added I still get to look over it instead of through it and with the added deflectors it might be decent wind protection for long distance. I did talk to another 2020 AT owner that used an aftermarket windscreen from the previous generation, the holes don't completely line up but he drilled new holes to get it to fit. So that could open up the playbook a little as well.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Plant
Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts