Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin standard manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need an advice, yesterday I installed my new touring windscreen, and I pushed one of the screws a little bit to hard and the part fell inside the hole on the bike.

What do I need to remove in order to get to the part? I tried to remove the small spoiler below the headlights but it was not there. Should I remove the side panel? Where could this part be? Is it even still somewhere inside the bike or can it fall out somewhere? Anybody faced this problem before?

Here is an image how it looks now

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000L DCT, Denali, Alt Rider, Camel, Mosko Moto, Knigh
20 Posts
You need M5 rubber well nuts.
Amazon link for a baggie of the well nuts

Otherwise pull the fairing - Maybe just that one side. I got mine back when I wired the Denali's, heated grips, .... though it then ate one of those neato gray clips ... awaiting for next fairing pull (never?)

Tips:
1) Put the well nuts to the windscreen first, then insert in and push windscreen UP and then start to tighten. Learned this after I lost my first one. From this forum. Works for everything but Madstad

2) If you're going to have them in place beforehand - put a 2nd one below as a dummy/spare - and it'll keep the top one in place. I did this for the Madstad as it's well nuts are metal washer backed with no spares. top of Madstad has a pin so I could only do this on the bottom - which is the main hungry fairing area that eats them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Next time remove all bolts but the bottom two.
Just loosen the bottom 2 bolts a few turns and push windscreen down to let the well nuts (with bolts in) slide down.
They come straight out from the square part of the hole.

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
21 Posts
To answer your original question: Nobody knows where they go. Everyone has lost a well nut into the fairing and they've never been seen again. I personally lost 3: the first two at the same time when I removed my windshield for the first time without knowing the well nuts could fall into the fairing, and then a third when I was careless.
As others have said, it's easier to just buy a pack of well nuts and replace them when lost.

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000L DCT, Denali, Alt Rider, Camel, Mosko Moto, Knigh
20 Posts
Hope you got it finished Simeon. I installed this same windscreen and also these deflectors. The combo makes it a MUCH more enjoyable on-road bike. Can actually hear my music and comms now.
[/QUOTE

Who makes those deflectors? I ended up with the Madstad 20" Touring but wouldn't mind a tad more deflection on the side.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
14 Posts
Nauglanch I ordered these off Amazon. Seems like they were $60 or so but they really reduce the side buffeting. That's a good looking blue bike you have and looks like you are in some gorgeous surroundings there in NC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts