Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just noticed one of the 4 screws is loose that holds the windscreen. I tried to tighten it and to my surprise it seems there is no thread or nut on the other side. I removed the screw and can not put it back. Any one had any experience like that? I am clueless.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't worry, many people have had this problem. The nut is whats known as a 'well nut'. The nut is a rubber tube that has a brass insert fitted that is threaded internally. As the screw tightens the brass insert is drawn towards the screw and in doing so the outer rubber tube of the nut deforms and tightens into the material surrounding it. That's all that holds the nut in place !
When you loosen the screw and remove it , with luck the well nut will remain in place due to it retaining some of its deformation. In your case the well nut has fallen out and is now residing in the bowels of your plastic.
Two options - strip it down and find the nut, or do the sensible thing and buy a packet of well nuts.

Well nuts should be tightened very lightly and when starting the thread be careful not to push on the nut or it can fall out. There is probably a You tube clip on well nuts. Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the same problem and posted to the forum. Search for "Dropped windshield screws inside cowling" - there are 20 comments.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks a million everyone. I hope i get it sorted...
I bought a pack of 8 well nuts and anodised red screws on eBay for £5. The brand Oxford also makes them. So if you want you can get a colour to suit the bike and lots of spares for very cheap

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts