Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read a few threads now on the wind buffeting issue and I think it's safe to say the solution is an adjustable bracket.

Batzen Screen Adjuster combined with Vstream or other windscreen seems to be the other popular choice.
The Batzen at lowest position is 2cm higher and can be adjusted another 7cm.

Puig Manual Elevation Mechanism

Madstad Adjustable Windshield seems to be the current "standard" solution : Africa Twin 2016 and Up
For $250, you get an adjustable bracket and a windscreen about four inches wider than stock. Madstad makes these for various bikes and it has been widely reviewed here on the forums, youtube, etc.

Tegnit Windshield Raiser appears to be about nine months old and raises the windscreen up to 5 inches and tilt.
For 149 euro (+20 euro shipping) ($182 total today) you can get the bracket with or without a "GPS holder" Windshield Raiser Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 with GPS holder
I see no references on this forum (other than Speedo007 above) or advrider.com.

Iconic On The Move Adjuster
For 119 euro you get a bracket without tilt but looks by far the simplest to adjust. It appears to impede the rider's vision just a bit, but maybe that's just me.

The Batzen, I believe may be the best choice overall. I have not seen one up close, but it appears to be the simplest solution that allows you to use any AT windscreen. Since it is the thinnest bracket, it does not create a gap between the windscreen and the fairing. Obtaining one is a relatively manual process, go to batzenparts.com or send email to [email protected]

Madstad and Tegnit allow you to tilt the screen in addition to elevation. Batzen, Puig and Iconic are limited to elevation.

My impatience led me to order the Puig M.E.M. through Revzilla. The installation was simple and it seems effective but does create a gap between the screen and the fairing. I haven't had a chance to ride test it yet.

Madstad seems to be a proven solution that is available today. I don't like being limited to only one source for windscreens.
As others have said, I'm not wild about the appearance. I like to think a dark(er) screen may help with this.
One of the Youtube videos I watched mentioned the adjustment screws vibrating loose offroad. I assume a lock washer would resolve this issue.
I do like the sound of "All MadStad windshields are made from 3/16" (4.5 mm) thick cast acrylic and are available in six different tint colors." (although there are four shades)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have the Batzen. It's terrific. Best wind protection (combined with V Stream shield) I've had on any bike.
When I bought mine Wolfgang got back to me right away. It was super quick shipping, quality product, and works like a ****.
[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did send email to both of those email addresses, no reply yet. So now I'm torn between the other two choices available to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
I did send email to both of those email addresses, no reply yet. So now I'm torn between the other two choices available to me.
Yeah, don't know, ... maybe Wolfgang has some significant personal issue to deal with. Otherwise, he appeared to respond normally in a course of business.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The Tegnit one also looks like a good design - it wasn't available when I got mine (the Batzen).
That looks like the releases on bicycle wheels that clamps everything in. Pretty slick looking system.
I've seen the Madstad brackets on several bikes and almost bought one on my KLR but they are fugly - it just doesn't fit the looks of our bike (or any bike, in my opinion).
It might be wise to also add a support bracket if you have a GPS - I bought one from NCCR in Sweden (my post on it) but Camel also makes one.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have the Madstad, and it's my belief it works because it's wider. It could do with another inch either side but it's ok the width it is. In my case going higher did nothing to stop the turbulence even when I was looking THOUGH a standard width screen about 4 inches down from the top. But if I'm right and it's vortices coming round the side that cause the problem, then that's no surprise.
I don't think the wider screen looks ugly but hey it's all down to personal choice.
For me the Madstad makes the bike into an all day tourer whereas anything else I tried gave me poor vision and a tired neck. Except no screen at all - which was bliss, but hopeless in the rain and snow, and in the summer it meant stopping every 3 or 4 miles to clean bugs off my visor.
Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would say about 2 1/2 inches maybe a little more. Seems like a lot when riding behind it and moving it up and down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i have the Tegnit one. makes a hell lot of difference, in a good way.

2k miles on it.

the other day i had extra time in my hands so i took it out and went back to the stock windscreen, and hell no. i out the Tegnit back on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i have the Tegnit one. makes a hell lot of difference, in a good way.

2k miles on it.

the other day i had extra time in my hands so i took it out and went back to the stock windscreen, and hell no. i put the Tegnit back on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the feedback. Happy to hear someone bought a Tegnit (gvmumbral) and thanks for yet another option ! (bdalameda). I updated my original post to include the new option.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like there's a new player in the "Adjustable Windscreen" market. Puig has a fixed windshield raiser (80mm), part number 9154N (available from Rugged) and it appears they have a new Adjustable, which I have updated the original post with the video. I'm not sure what I think of it just yet but I'm going to try to locate one in case I decide to go that route.

I had all but decided on the Batzen, but I still haven't heard from Wolfgang (I sent a follow up email telling that I hoped everything was alright). I like how "flush" it appears.

Before the Puig appeared, Tegnit was my second choice but it seems I need to get in touch with my credit card company to make purchases overseas.

I've basically ruled out the Madstad. I'm sure it's great but I'd like to keep my windshield options open.

I don't think I would buy the Iconic. It's clever that you can adjust one handed, but I don't like that it seems to clutter the field of vision.

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
Looks like there's a new player in the "Adjustable Windscreen" market. Puig has a fixed windshield raiser (80mm), part number 9154N (available from Rugged) and it appears they have a new Adjustable, which I have updated the original post with the video. I'm not sure what I think of it just yet but I'm going to try to locate one in case I decide to go that route.

I had all but decided on the Batzen, but I still haven't heard from Wolfgang (I sent a follow up email telling that I hoped everything was alright). I like how "flush" it appears.

Before the Puig appeared, Tegnit was my second choice but it seems I need to get in touch with my credit card company to make purchases overseas.

I've basically ruled out the Madstad. I'm sure it's great but I'd like to keep my windshield options open.

I don't think I would buy the Iconic. It's clever that you can adjust one handed, but I don't like that it seems to clutter the field of vision.
Good ground work and persistence Kinesthesia. Thanks for keeping the Forum posted.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts