Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my AT DCT. The dealership sent it to me in a van and, to get it in the van, they took the windshield off. Of course they dropped the bottom nuts inside the fairing and didn't tell the driver so, when he got here we couldn't mount the windshield. I called the dealer and they said they would send me new ones but who knows how long that will take? The dealer is in Mexico City, 150 miles from me and this is a holiday weekend so it will be Tues before they can even check to see if they will have to order them.

My question is: do I have to remove all the fairing to get to where those nuts fell to or is there an easier way? I'll bet this isn't the first time this has happened.
:crying:
Art

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just received my AT DCT. The dealership sent it to me in a van and, to get it in the van, they took the windshield off. Of course they dropped the bottom nuts inside the fairing and didn't tell the driver so, when he got here we couldn't mount the windshield. I called the dealer and they said they would send me new ones but who knows how long that will take? The dealer is in Mexico City, 150 miles from me and this is a holiday weekend so it will be Tues before they can even check to see if they will have to order them.

My question is: do I have to remove all the fairing to get to where those nuts fell to or is there an easier way? I'll bet this isn't the first time this has happened.
:crying:
Art
I dropped one when I was putting the fairing back on after connecting the 12v OEM socket - couldn't be bothered taking the whole thing apart so found some on Amazon for 4.Euros the set - if it starts to rattle then I will strip it down again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll get on this tomorrow and report back as to how much of a hassle it is.

Art

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have a large hardware store near you like Home Depot, etc, go there and look for a fastener called a 'well nut'. They will look almost identical to the Honda part, but may require you to buy a few screws that match the thread size. You can get them quite cheap, so buy extras as spares.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have a large hardware store near you like Home Depot, etc, go there and look for a fastener called a 'well nut'. They will look almost identical to the Honda part, but may require you to buy a few screws that match the thread size. You can get them quite cheap, so buy extras as spares.
Good call Trialsguy, They are M5 Rubber Well Nuts, ie 5mm thread...

Having lost one myself didn't know what they were called but just looked it up in the manual. Will order a couple myself off eBay as spares.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The best way to install the well nut's is to put the screw though the wind shield then put the well nut on loosely, then set the windshield in place, to remove the windshield just loosen the screws slide the windshield down and it will come off with well nut's on the screws, no more lost well nut's. {I hate loosing my screws, only so many in a life time}

·
Registered
86 Posts
My advice is to leave those pesky suckers where they fell. I lost two of those buggers and there was no way I was going to take all those plastic bits off again. E bay has them for sale, and now I keep a few spares for next time - cheap as chips!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a "nuts and bolts" store in San Miguel. I'll check with them. I'll bet they have them. We also have an AutoZone so that's a possibility.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Batzen wind screen adjuster bracket and since losing the well nuts is so common, he included a spare just in case. I also agree with what Chris said: When I installed the adjuster putting the nuts on very loosely and then popping the bracket in place seemed to work very well.
This Saturday I helped a friend with his Versys. Kawaski is apparently very fond of well nuts and uses these a lot to hold on the fairing plastic. Seems to be a fastener that is getting very popular for vibration free mounting on modern bikes. They are also very easy to ruin by over torquing. So be careful when tightening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the same thing, lost (2) well nuts and a screw down in there. You do have to take both L/R fairings off, and the front nose cowl to get those things out. I left them in there until I was installing my crash bars and my power outlet. FYI the first time you take your fairings off, put a tiny amount of silicone grease on the fairing bungs (the male part which inserts into the rubber grommet). It makes reassembly much easier. I used too much grease and ended up having to wipe most of it off when I put my fairings back on, so just a light film is enough. I also found one of my rubber frame grommets installed incorrectly and it was binding on the fairing bung making it hard to remove. Keep track of all your push nuts and frame bolts. It's no fun finding extra's after you are all done!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glory gee to Besus! I found them. Even though it is a holiday a little Yamaha shop was open and had them. They cost $3 US but at that point I wasn't going to argue. I tried the AutoZone and they had never seen anything like that. I think I"m going to order some from eBay just so I've got them. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yesterday I went to a motorcycle shop in Leon, about 50 miles from home, and bought a little packet of 10 well nuts and 10 screws for about $2 US.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well Nuts and Loctite do not play well together!!

Another important tip for the Well Nuts that hold the windshield on - DO NOT USE LOCTITE on them. Probably obvious to everyone but me, but I used blue Loctite on them last time I had them off. That makes them impossible to remove, since the rubber of the well nuts just twists in the mounting hole when trying to take them out. I finally got them out with a lot of work but had to destroy the well nuts in the process. As mbaur says above, do not over tighten either - you can damage the well nuts and potentially crack the windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JFC. I found this thread because the two lower nuts dropped into the fairing. What a horribly designed part. Luckily, I had 5mm well nuts from an old sportbike project. Wow.

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
JFC. I found this thread because the two lower nuts dropped into the fairing. What a horribly designed part. Luckily, I had 5mm well nuts from an old sportbike project. Wow.
Nice segway introduction to a true AT experience. Welcome to the Forum pplassm!

·
Registered
408 Posts
You'll all be pleased to know that the new (2020) models have slightly redesigned the mounting.
It is still well nuts but they are wider at the top and the slots (less) likely to fall through, lol

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
Sometime we get new Forum folks coming onboard with an opener not far from,

" ... I just got my 2020 ATAS and whew! - what a beauty! She goes, and the DCT is the best ever!

Is it suppose to sputter and gasp after 150 miles? ... "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts