Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm putting the bike away for the winter for the first time, and I have a question. I don't have a garage, so it will see some pretty cold temperatures here in Colorado. It will be under a carport, and covered, and I am wondering if any of y'all have had experience with this. I may want to ride it if we get good days (and we do get really good days in the middle of winter here). Should I fill the tank and put Stabil in it, or run it pretty dry? Should I do anything with the cooling system, or the oil? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
2017 DCT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cover it well, and start it regularly: You'll be ok. My wife had to keep her water cooled bike on the street in Colorado Springs, and had no problems....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cover with a breathable bike cover, get the weight off the tyres, inflate tyres a bit above riding pressure, change oil and filter, DO NOT run the bike again until you want to ride it, put battery on charge, spray with ACF 50 (not discs though) job done. Being outside in a cold and dry environment will not harm it one bit. Meant to say, fill the tank with high grade fuel.
M

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I don't know why it would be a problem to start the bike as long as you plan to take it out for a ride and bring it up to full operating temperature. As Root mentions, we get some pretty good days throughout winter :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fill the tank (less vapor area for condensation to form),use non ethanol fuel or use sea foam or another additive. and put it on a battery tender then forget about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine gets stabilizer in the fuel tank,put it in the corner out of the way and if I get a nice day I am riding it ,if not it is ready for spring

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know why it would be a problem to start the bike as long as you plan to take it out for a ride and bring it up to full operating temperature. As Root mentions, we get some pretty good days throughout winter :)
Thats it in a nutshell.Fine to start it IF you plan to ride it,otherwise just starting it will lead to condensation inside the engine and the oil as the engine will not get hot enough to burn it off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why would you not start the bike?
The initial starting of a petrol engine creates quite bit of acid products, these find their way into the oil which can contribute to etching the bearings etc when allowed to settle and cool after switch off. If the bike is to go on a good run, ie the engine is to be put under load for some distance the acid products are burnt off and cause much less 'damage'.

M

·
Registered
975 Posts
Here's a good video on FortNine about winterizing a bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, I'm putting the bike away for the winter for the first time, and I have a question. I don't have a garage, so it will see some pretty cold temperatures here in Colorado. It will be under a carport, and covered, and I am wondering if any of y'all have had experience with this. I may want to ride it if we get good days (and we do get really good days in the middle of winter here). Should I fill the tank and put Stabil in it, or run it pretty dry? Should I do anything with the cooling system, or the oil? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark
2017 DCT
You need to put Sta-bil in it. Run it after. Top off the tank. No air, no corrosion. There is also the issue of excessive wear on startup after sitting a long time. You need to disconnect your injectors and crank it over for several seconds to get oil distributed around before starting up the first time in the spring. Check with your dealer to verify what temperature the antifreeze is good for but unless you see below -20 F,you should be fine. You also need to remove the battery and store in the house or it will be toast.
I also suggest wrapping it up, like an X-mas present with Harbor Freight tarps and bungee cords. You really should jack it up though or your tires will probably go out of round. Additionally, you should tape up the exhaust so no little critters try to make their home in there and make sure to check the intake and filter in the spring. Since stabil will keep the fuel good but you lose 1-2 octane points per month, you might throw some octane boost in before you ride again.
I think that covers it. Just my $0.02 as a professional mechanic.

Be sure to check out the SoAZRider Channel on YouTube. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Leave connected to a good battery optimiser making sure the unit is protected from the elements. Give the bike a very generous spraying of ACF50 but not on the tires or brakes, hand apply with a rag to spokes or any parts you don't want to spray. Cover the bike as much as possible.

If in a vulnerable area put as many disc locks and chains on as possible.

Only start the bike if you intend to ride at least 20 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts