Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to install 2 x 10W LED driving lights. I have a spotlight harness, with relay, sitting around but am wondering if that is overkill. I plan to have the lights on, as running lights, whenever the bike is on. Now should I bother with the relay harness and switch or with the lights only having a small draw, compared to conventional spots, can I simply get away with running a feed directly from a fused switched outlet on my PC-8 power supply. I already have a feed run up to the area with a cable that has a 5A rating. I have calculated that the draw of the lights should only be 1.66A (Watts / Voltage) so this should be more than adequate. I plan to split the feed from a two core waterproof connector to each light. Is this safe and sound logic? The reason being that the harness with the relay is quite bulky and there is very limited space to hide it all safely away.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What are you using for a switch? If you are running a feed from the PC8 with its own switch rated for the current, then you never need a relay. All the relay does is allow you to use a low current switch with a high current load.

That said, even if you are using the OEM fog light switch available in Europe I wouldn't think that 2A would be a problem.

Rereading your email, you seem to suggest you won't be using any switch at all, in which case you are relying on the PC8's built in ignition relay and should be fine.

Finally, as an aside I didn't have any problem finding room for relays under the seat. The more annoying issues is having to run two sets of wires to the front of the bike (assuming your switch is in the dash).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did this exact thing with my 10W led lights. I wired them to the auxiliary power port behind the dash up front, although I have a PC-8 for all my other accessories. No switch, just always on. Eventually I might upgrade the lights and then I will add the OEM fog light switch.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the Denali light bar. All seems to be working fine. It was more of a faff routing the winters and getting them nice and secure but out of the way. I used a bit of Hammerite black silk finish to paint the small steel brackets and bolts that came with them to match the lights and light bar. Used Sumitomo two port waterproof fittings so should be ok. The lights are that people see me rather than illumination so I have tipped them down a bit so as not to blind.

·
Registered
480 Posts
yes, ditch the relay, as long as you have a decently rated fuse either via your PC8 or inline. I did the same as crstep but did use the Honda OEM switch to give me the option of switching them off, wiring up there also gives you the option of illuminating the fog light indicator on the dash when they are on.

Reactions: UintaUte

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have put a 5A fuse in the PC8. Seems ok.
I forgot to mention that I do have an in line fuse with my lights' wiring with sumitomo connectors up front. I used to Eastern Beaver kit for the front plug (purchased with the PC-8).

The only reason I did not have the fog light switch is that rugged roads never processed my order and never responded to emails asking about it. I just figured screw it, I don't really need the switch since they'll be on all the time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I forgot to mention that I do have an in line fuse with my lights' wiring with sumitomo connectors up front. I used to Eastern Beaver kit for the front plug (purchased with the PC-8).

The only reason I did not have the fog light switch is that rugged roads never processed my order and never responded to emails asking about it. I just figured screw it, I don't really need the switch since they'll be on all the time.
I'm beginning to like it here....:smile2:

I'm chopping in my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx for a 2018 manual AT which is being delivered next week.
I removed a pair of Triumph LED fogs from the Tiger to sell on eBay but just read this thread.

I'm thinking if I buy a bracket from Rugged Roads
I could use the Tiger LEDs?

Can I take;

1. A 5A fused feed from the battery to a Rugged roads OEM Honda fog light switch then directly to the lamps?

Or

2. Would it be better to feed directly from a switched terminal on a PC8 directly to the lamps so always on when ignition is on?

Is option 2 legal in the UK?

Also, can you buy a PC8 in the UK?

Ideas? Advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts

I'm chopping in my 2015 Tiger 800 XCx for a 2018 manual AT which is being delivered next week.
I removed a pair of Triumph LED fogs from the Tiger to sell on eBay but just read this thread.

Can I take;

1. A 5A fused feed from the battery to a Rugged roads OEM Honda fog light switch then directly to the lamps?

Or

2. Would it be better to feed directly from a switched terminal on a PC8 directly to the lamps so always on when ignition is on?

Ideas? Advice?
You will have to buy the PC8 direct from Eastern Beaver in Japan - easy enough to do, just look him up on the internet. He makes a specific kit for the AT. I think the kit for the 2018 bikes is different fro the earlier ones.
I have bought the Honda switch ,but I'm not looking forward to removing all the plastic panels to get at the back of the switch blank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
10 different ways to skin the cat.
I installed a single pole switch, to run a relay, and control the lights. It's total overkill for 10w LED lights. Whatever, I was in there...might as well.
I have a dedicated power supply from a ghetto home made power splitter, run off a relay, controlled by the tail lamp.

As a bonus, Im using the fog light dash light, which is neat IMO (right side of dash shown in picture below)
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/honda-africa-twin-fun-with-electricity/

·
Registered
445 Posts

Can I take;
Or

Ideas? Advice?
You can also provide power using the Option connector behind instrument panel; there you'll find switched power AND the wire for the fog light signal on dash so that when you switch on the fog lights you'll have the indicator in the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can also provide power using the Option connector behind instrument panel; there you'll find switched power AND the wire for the fog light signal on dash so that when you switch on the fog lights you'll have the indicator in the dash.
Hi, please explain, what should be connected to this wire? "Positive" when fog lights are turned ON?

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi, please explain, what should be connected to this wire? "Positive" when fog lights are turned ON?
Yes. The "exit" from the fog light switch should be connected also to the black/blue wire of the option connector to have the dashboard fog light to turn on when you hit the lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. The "exit" from the fog light switch should be connected also to the black/blue wire of the option connector to have the dashboard fog light to turn on when you hit the lights.
I just purchased my AT 2018. Maybe you know, how many amperes this connector can accept? I want to connect GPS and LED lights to it. Is this connector fused and where is the fuse located?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just purchased my AT 2018. Maybe you know, how many amperes this connector can accept? I want to connect GPS and LED lights to it. Is this connector fused and where is the fuse located?
I'm running exactly the same things on my 2018 AT: a Tomtom Rider and the LED lights amperes (Koso Aurora) are powered from that connector without any problems. The LED lights uses about 2 plus another couples for the GPS. All options connected to the option connectors are fused with a 10 amps fuse under the driver's seat (OP FUSE). I wouldn't use 10 amperes on that wires, but i think 4-5 amperes are ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking to install a set of LED auxiliary driving lights on my 2017 Africa Twin. I am using the PC8 unit to control the electric supply but wanted to use the Skenedesign IQ-275 unit to alter the brightness when the high beam lights are not on, i.e daylight. This unit needs a connection to the high beam to switch the brightness up, but I have just read that the feed to the high beam lights will not trigger the device because of the LED lights. Has anyone ever used one of these units and where can I take a 'hot' feed to trigger the high beam brightness, assuming it does work.

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
77 Posts
i've done a similar set up on my super tenere.
Looking at the AT repair manual, page 567. The headlight driver has four wires. the HB does have it's own wire. One would assume it's a 12V signal for the HB trigger, and be sufficient for what you need to do.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Hoping one of you will be able to help me out and this post seemed like the right place.

I'm getting the Eastern Beaver 3cs kit for some electrical accessories.
However, I have a set of Acerbis Vison Led handguard lights (2x4watts) that I want to install, and at a later stage might add or replace with some real fog lights from Denali. So for now, I want to hook up the Vision's to the front option connector (that will be the only thing I run from that and will give me the chance to open up the front end) and I want them switched via the Honda OEM fog light switch.

The Vision kit only comes with plain + and - wires from each, with no connectors. I've attached pictures below. The wiring guide provided shows how I would wire them if I used the crappy switch they come with.

But how would I go about connecting them to the front option connector and using the OEM switch? I assume I need to buy a 4 pin connector for the front option connector, but what about connecting the OEM switch? Do I need to buy a connector for this to wire with the rest or do the led wires go to the switch and then the switch wires go to the connector? Bit of a newbie when it comes to wiring but I have a soldering kit and crimpers at the ready and been practising lately lol. Would very much appreciate a clear explanation or a helpful easy to read drawing if anyone has one handy...
Thanks very much in advance.
VT

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Hoping one of you will be able to help me out and this post seemed like the right place.

However, I have a set of Acerbis Vison Led handguard lights (2x4watts) that I want to install, and at a later stage might add or replace with some real fog lights from Denali. So for now, I want to hook up the Vision's to the front option connector (that will be the only thing I run from that and will give me the chance to open up the front end) and I want them switched via the Honda OEM fog light switch.

The Vision kit only comes with plain + and - wires from each, with no connectors. I've attached pictures below. The wiring guide provided shows how I would wire them if I used the crappy switch they come with.

But how would I go about connecting them to the front option connector and using the OEM switch? I assume I need to buy a 4 pin connector for the front option connector, but what about connecting the OEM switch? Do I need to buy a connector for this to wire with the rest or do the led wires go to the switch and then the switch wires go to the connector? Bit of a newbie when it comes to wiring but I have a soldering kit and crimpers at the ready and been practising lately lol. Would very much appreciate a clear explanation or a helpful easy to read drawing if anyone has one handy...
VT
Now with pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Everyone,

VT
I think I've already answered to this precise question (by you!) here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...n-overland-d2d-lighting-kit-2.html#post294253
Just replace the fog lights at the left of the schematics with your handguards light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts