Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
I have no idea whether a 22 is different from a 2020-2021. I would imagine they would be the same as no real reason to change things.
The difference between the two diagrams I posted is the first one is from my manual which is Europe models, the second is from what I think is probably a North American manual.

From what @ViperTech18 has said the North American versions don't have separate DRL's so that likely accounts for the lower count of wires as there is no need to switch DRL and Low beam as they will be switched together.

Do you know what market your light is from?

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
Oh and the wire colours between the two diagrams I posted is the same, just on the second the DRL is missing and also the PO (not sure what that stands for)

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
Couple more pages from the manual, looks like PO is China only so that would just be 5 wires in the EU bikes.
Still don't match with regards colours but here they are anyway. If you need better images let me know and I can upload the images instead of screenshots.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Handwriting
Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Paper

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
518 Posts
now i am confused, 2 different pictures, the first one i got has 6 wires, this one has 4 wires, my connector has 5 wires and all of them have different wire-colors.
The thing here is this:
You are trying to match wire colors from the Manual to your opened Headlight.
The Manual depicts the wires FROM the Bike UP to the Connector.
Your Wires are INSIDE the Headlight.
Normally, NOBODY will see those wires on his lifetime.
Since they are inside, and nobody opens the expensive headlight each time.
Here only thing is to somebody take a PICTURE of the Bike's connector, so you can match it to your internal wires, and analyze and figure out your diagram, positions and function.
Later in the day I will see how easy is to disconnect this from my USA Specs 22', and post a picture.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
Ah ok so these are internal wires, that makes sense now.
You should be able to match the wire colours via the pin counts on the diagrams, especially as the one in the last post (test method) shows the position of the Ignition and Ground.
From your image it is hard to say where the key is but going by the missing wire (PO for Chinese) I would say your black wire is Gnd and the W/R is Ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i tought the same and i did some simple measurements, by the way it is an OEM headlight for the european market.
i gave it exact 12,2V. on the headlight-connector on W/R.

measurement points; hi/lo beam connector left RED = 11,8V LO
BROWN = 0V HI
right GREEN = 0V HI
YELLOW = 11,8V LO
DRL left WHITE = 41,2V !!!!
and in the headlight connector on WHITE/BROWN 11,4V !!!! on GRAY 11,3V and on VIOLET 0,2V !!!!
Handwriting Rectangle Font Whiteboard Parallel

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
If you look at the wiring diagram where they connect to the BCU you will see that the DRL is an output but the Hi and Low do not say they are so I presume they will be sinking the voltage. So the way I would think it would work is power goes in on the Ign wire and the BCU grounds either the Hi or Low. The DRL gets supplied from the BCU and grounds via the green ground wire.
That is just how I interpret it so could well be totally wrong.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
that go's above my head, i'm not that good in electronics.
i heard there is also a dimmable light ?
The DRL is dimmable, it does it automatically using the light sensor to determine the amount of daylight. That will be why it is an output from the BCU rather than an input like the Hi/Lo, assuming of course I am understanding the wiring diagram correctly.
Now how exactly it is dimmed I am not sure, it may just be a different voltage supplied or it may be PWM or it may be something else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have to do it without the BCU and just ON/Off is good enough for Lo-beam, Hi-beam and DRL.
the only thing i don't understand is; i put 12,2V in the connector on one pin, second pin =GND, third pin gives me 11,4V back, fourth pin gives me 11,3V back and the fifth pin gives me 0,2V back while DRL left and DRL right are in serial 41,2V!! and is together with the Lo-beam in the 'ON' position.
Hi-beam is in the 'OFF' position and there are no switches and bcu at all yet!
All 'OFF' is not so difficult but now DRL 'OFF' or Lo-beam 'OFF' or Hi-beam 'On', I realy don't know.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
Ok not really following which wires you are talking about but my thinking is if you connect Ign to 12v positive and Gnd to 12v negative then ground the Hi wire then it should light, same if you ground the Lo wire. DRL may be more problematic as it seems to be getting supplied by the BCU and may either be just different voltages or may be something like a PWM signal.
As said though that is just the way I a reading things from the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Interesting.
Following to know if removing the wire which powers Lo Beam will turn it off, and leave the DRL only ON.
Will do my testing as well, Once open the front of the bike.
(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
518 Posts
@Hood Good Morning.
Which P/N are the same?
The BCU or the Headlight?
I will check how many wires my Headlight have. Perhaps DRL and Low Beam are tied together inside the headlight on USA bikes.
In such case, nothing can be done to lit the DRL alone. And need to left them this way.
But, if there is 2 wires, I can interrupt the Low Beam one, with a switch.
This way, will turn off it on daylight, and leave DRL ON.
Will see.
:p 👏 (y)

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,932 Posts
The headlights are the same part number. How they do connect them I am not sure as the USA wiring I posted earlier doesn't have the DRL wire showing at all.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
450 Posts
The led driver need constant power 1 to 12v and 2 to ground and 3 4 and 5 are lo hi and drl. Normale are these connected to the bcu unit. The bcu unit is a relaybox which switches 12v to the output and is controlled via the can bus. So I believe is you put 12v on 3 the light will go on on 4 high light and on 5 drl be care full hi and lo light should not be powered together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
yes you are right, i thought nearly the same but then i measured on 3 an output 11,4V and on 4 an output 11,3V and on 5 an output 0,2V while lo beam and DRL is ON and hi beam is OFF and that dosn't make cense to me.
and why do i measure on the DRL connector 41,2V ??

21 - 40 of 56 Posts