Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have had this issue twice: I stop, use the hazard, then the bike fails to start as if the battery is dead.

The first time, I stopped to take a beauty shot of my new AT. I had perhaps 100 miles on the bike at the time. I used the flashers... this was my first bike to have them, and the first time I ever used them. After perhaps 5 minutes, I tried to start it and the bike turned over as if the battery was dead. A short bit later, a friendly big fellah stopped to help. He noted that the headlights were blindingly bright, so he didn't think the battery was dead. One attempt to bump start, and it fired right up. I took it to the dealer immediately, who tested the battery: it tested brand new, as it should. They documented the situation, but could think of nothing else.

This last time, I was riding with a group. We pulled over for photos, and I had the flashers on again. I attempted to start the bike, and again it acted as if the battery was dead. A couple riders gave me a push (up hill... oops!) and again it started right up.

Two times I stopped and used the 4-way hazard lights, and both times the battery acted dead and clearly wasn't.

Is this a known thing?

Here's a bonus beauty shot from when it was stopped.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's really odd. Yesterday morning I went to start my AT with no luck. Similar symptoms, but I did not use my flashers prior to the issue. The starter motor struggles for a few turns without the engine catching, and then just gave up. I should have written it down but the battery read relatively low, I think less than 11.5 Volts, maybe around 11 Volts. I threw it on a Battery Tender for a couple of hours and after that it started up several times with no issues.

I'm going to watch this thread since this is rather strange.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The consensus over cocktails from the riders that night is either that the starter might be too tight or that there is a loose connection. Neither of these would explain the correlation with the hazard lights. It does kinda explain how it starts when I am push started.

Maybe it wasn't too clear in my description, but the pushing didn't start it. I hit the starter while popping the clutch and it immediately turned over as it always does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts