Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years I've noticed a trend by car owners in the UK to constantly cross into my lane when cornering.
I used to ride near the white line on blind left handers to see that little further round the corner and avoid the all too common occurrence nowadays of three abreast cyclists nearly filling the lane.
At the weekend I got mirrored by a cager who was about a third of the way in my lane making an obviously very important call on his mobile. Close thing for me this time, a bit of a wobble and stayed on board.
These planks seem reluctant to lift off for corners and on my daily commute it happens 2-3 times a day where I generally cover up to 100mls a day.
I'm sure I won't be the only one to notice this, a couple of years ago I use to shrug it off and not really think about it.
Been riding 51yrs now and the disregard for other road users seems to get worse with every passing year.

Pete.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to ride near the white line on blind left handers
Car drivers often cut right hand bends. That places them right in your path for a head on collision if, on approach, you are near the centre line on limited vision left handers.

Look for worn centre line markings next time you see one as evidence of this over time. What you can see, what you can't see, and what you can reasonably expect ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
The last few years I've noticed a trend by car owners in the UK to constantly cross into my lane when cornering.
I used to ride near the white line on blind left handers to see that little further round the corner and avoid the all too common occurrence nowadays of three abreast cyclists nearly filling the lane.
At the weekend I got mirrored by a cager who was about a third of the way in my lane making an obviously very important call on his mobile. Close thing for me this time, a bit of a wobble and stayed on board.
These planks seem reluctant to lift off for corners and on my daily commute it happens 2-3 times a day where I generally cover up to 100mls a day.
I'm sure I won't be the only one to notice this, a couple of years ago I use to shrug it off and not really think about it.
Been riding 51yrs now and the disregard for other road users seems to get worse with every passing year.

Pete.
May I suggest the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists). Can be well worth the cost, there is probably a group near you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I too encounter this on a regular basis on my bike, but more so whilst driving my HGV. On rural roads it is easier for me to adapt my position on the bike in order to stay safe ( never sacrifice safety for position ), but in the truck I don't have that luxury, I need to stay wide so the rear doesn't come into contact with whatever is on my nearside. I have had some very near misses, but fortunately the vehicle has all round cameras recording so should the worst ever happen i have video evidence of the corner cutting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May I suggest the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists). Can be well worth the cost, there is probably a group near you.

A decent enough recommendation, which I did over 25yrs ago.
One of the things taught is to ride towards the centre of the road through blind lefthanders to allow you judge if there is a decreasing radius and avoid static obstructions in your lane.
In the UK I generally look ahead and use hedges, lamp posts and telegraph poles to assist in judging the direction the road is taking.
None of which educates drivers to lift off a little and attempt to stay on their own side.
Watch vehicles over a period of time and you will also see the large number that run into your side when they take left handers because either they won't lift off or basically just don't give a **** about anybody other than themselves.

Pete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts