Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed an oem centre stand and Alt Rider radiator guards in preparation for Tuktoyaktuk in 5 weeks! I also yelled owww when I snapped a spring puller. What worked in the end was 4' of chain and a 2x4 as a lever!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
Those springs can be a bugger. I used a 12" flat blade screwdriver as a lever and it went on. I tried a spring puller and there's just not enough 'pull' in them for me to stretch that type of spring. Good luck in Tuk.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought my stand at the same time as the bike (bought the bike new - the dealer didn't charge to fit the stand for me. I gotta figure I managed to save a huge amount of time & effort (and swearing and bleeding knuckles).

·
Registered
6 Posts
OEM Honda Center stand. I don't understand everyone's issues with these springs. Obviously many non mechanics in here. 10 seconds for the first spring and maybe 45 seconds for the second. Total install time on the whole center stand maybe 5-10 minutes.Only that long because no instructions packed. Had to Google Honda. Any old school mechanic would recognize those springs as being the same as auto or truck brake shoe springs. The standard Bendix brake spring tool works with ease.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I've just installed a main stand on my Africa Twin and it is seriously a quick job. Sorry no pics but here is the procedure.

1. With the bike on the side stand, mount the springs back to back on the pivot plate (as shown in the Honda mounting instructions) and tie the newly mounted centre stand in the folded up position (I used zip ties) to shorten the spring mounting length. This step makes it much easier,
2. Make a wire loop ( I used a wire coat hanger from a dry cleaning shop) of approximately 5 inches (about 125 mm) and hook it onto the free end of one of the springs.
3. At a suitable pivot point put plenty of padding on the rear rim, using a decent flat bladed screwdriver slide it through the free end of the wire loop, press on the padded pivot point and stretch the selected spring and slip it over the main stand hook.
4. Repeat for the other spring.
5. Take off the temporary tie, test the main stand, walk around the bike feeling pleased with yourself.

You will be surprised how little force is required to mount the springs. It is really that easy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll be putting my center stand on tonight after work. The package didn't include instructions but the video below does a nice job of showing the procedure.

Thanks to everyone who posted here--I'm going to try the broom stick method but if that doesn't work I've got other options! :smile2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts