Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Gang,
I, that is WE, my ever loving, most faithful wife and I purchased a BRAND NEW 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT yesterday. It's the Red, White and Blue one. The first thing I have to say here is, I'd never ridden an AUTOMATIC motorcycle here and, without a doubt, not only was I astounded phenomenally, but, SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED! You boys really praised you units with the DCT and, some of you have had more than one. Well, I don't have a doubt, that if, IF, this is not my last motorcycle, my next one will ALSO have the DCT!!! The die hard shifters of the world can have what they please for sure. But, it's without a doubt, a great operating machine. At present, I've only got about 10 minutes experiencing the DCT operation.

Yes, yes I know, some of you said I should test drive one for over an hour to get a good feel for it. Well, two things here. One, we'd just driven from our home in Lake Havasu City AZ to the center of Phoenix, Scottsdale to be precise. Even with much of it at over 70 mph, it still took us over 3.5 hours. So, we were a bit tired of driving. And second, it didn't take me very long, to realize at least SOME of the change-able characteristics of that DCT. Yes, I know, it's got a ton of them. I will play with all of them as time goes on. So, about a 10 minute drive around the streets of Phoenix was waaaaaaaaaaaaay more of what I needed to know, WHETHER OR NOT I LIKE IT. Well, as you can tell, YEP, WITHOUT A DOUBT!

Anyway, I have to cut this short 'cause I got things to do so, here it is, in its new home.
Scott

Attachments

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ATAS Es DCT
118 Posts
Congratulations Fire Up! I have an 18 Wing with DCT and like you, I won’t buy a bike without it. Enjoy & ride safe!

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride; she's a beauty!

Lot's of great places to ride in AZ, as well. I have been enjoying exploring the mountains around Phoenix a great deal...

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,
So far, only one teeny-tiny ultra small annoyance. And that is, non self-canceling turn signals! I mean, are you kidding me? I bought a brand new, 1977 Yamaha RD400 a few decades ago, and it had SELF CANCELING turn signals. All of my Goldwings, had self canceling turn signals. I mean, geeeeeeeze, come on Honda, you built an ultra fine machine here and an outstanding transmission, and you can't install self canceling turn signals on such a popular bike?
Other than that, I'm ecstatic about this thing. I've been taking automatics for granted for decades and decades on every thing I've ever driven which, was just about everything on the planet. But, this DCT is for some reason, just mind-blowing in its operation. The Tour mode is surely different though. I mean, on flat, level streets, taking off from a stop sign, and low to medium-low throttle, the bike's in forth gear before I finish leaving the intersection I was just stopped at. But, yes, I know, all that can changed with a push of a couple of switches/buttons/toggles on the bars. I'll get used to it. Anyway folks, gotta go study the dash on it so I don't fiddle with it while riding.
Scott

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ive got news for you............You can turn off the self cancel.
enjoy reading your manual lol

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
Congrats with your ATAS DCT. I think AZ is very nice to discover with an AT. Have a lot of fun and drive safe

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Well,
So far, only one teeny-tiny ultra small annoyance. And that is, non self-canceling turn signals! I mean, are you kidding me? I bought a brand new, 1977 Yamaha RD400 a few decades ago, and it had SELF CANCELING turn signals. All of my Goldwings, had self canceling turn signals. I mean, geeeeeeeze, come on Honda, you built an ultra fine machine here and an outstanding transmission, and you can't install self canceling turn signals on such a popular bike?
Other than that, I'm ecstatic about this thing. I've been taking automatics for granted for decades and decades on every thing I've ever driven which, was just about everything on the planet. But, this DCT is for some reason, just mind-blowing in its operation. The Tour mode is surely different though. I mean, on flat, level streets, taking off from a stop sign, and low to medium-low throttle, the bike's in forth gear before I finish leaving the intersection I was just stopped at. But, yes, I know, all that can changed with a push of a couple of switches/buttons/toggles on the bars. I'll get used to it. Anyway folks, gotta go study the dash on it so I don't fiddle with it while riding.
Scott
I hear ya bro. I bought a banged-up '76 Yamaha RD400 and its self-cancelling signals still worked.

RE 4th gear before intersection: Try mode S1 or S2 and see if that feels better.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
oops sorry scrub that, me being thick. thats the 2020 models, sorry matey
we don’t have them on the US model, they aren't even offered.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Well,
Scott
When taking off in D; keep the rpm’s close to or above 3k and you’ll like the way it shifts, still won’t stop you from being in 6th gear while cruising at 25mph. But it will get rid of the“short shifts’..

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve got the same bike only in manual. Bought it at Western Honda Powersports in Scottsdale last fall. Awesome bike, congrats. I’m still stopping to look at it when I walk by, the colors just draw you in.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we don’t have them on the US model, they aren't even offered.
Am I missing something? They don't have WHAT?
Scott

When taking off in D; keep the rpm’s close to or above 3k and you’ll like the way it shifts, still won’t stop you from being in 6th gear while cruising at 25mph. But it will get rid of the“short shifts’..
I'm still getting used to this bike and, the DCT operation. I'm mostly using the D or, tour mode. And, I know that's the granny way of operating the bike. But, I pop it into the S mode on occasion and as you DCT owners know, it definitely changes operational characteristics. But, so far, in the limited city street time on the bike and, in the S mode, it shifts into like 3rd and then, seems to sit there, almost no matter how much higher I rev it to get it to shift into 4th. Again, just learning. I thank you for trying to assist in my learning process.
Scott

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't get one thing -- how can one ride an art exhibit ?
????

I’ve got the same bike only in manual. Bought it at Western Honda Powersports in Scottsdale last fall. Awesome bike, congrats. I’m still stopping to look at it when I walk by, the colors just draw you in.
'
That was our dealership too. Seemed like some ok guys. They were very helpful and cooperative. No pressure.
Scott

Reactions: AZMtnRider
1 - 20 of 56 Posts