Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Has your 2018-2020+ Africa Twin Adventure Sports experienced fueling/idling/stalling/loss of power?

• Yes. I have had the dealership/Honda resolve the issue(s) under warranty at no cost.

• Yes. The dealership resolved it for me, but my warranty was expired and I had to pay out of pocket

• Yes. I have had these issues, but resolved the problem on my own and Honda is not aware.

• No. I have not had these issues, but I took precautionary measured (Guglatech Filter, etc.)

• No. But I am concerned that I will have this issue down the road.

• I have contacted Honda about my concerns

• I have filed a Safety Defect Report with NHTSA or other regulatory agency per Owners Manual

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
2018 ATAS DCT Vin number 15. ok, so today, i had 10 miles to empty ride it 241 miles and my bike started loosing power.

I was on the freeway riding around 80mph. then slower every feet I rode.

As Iwas riding Iwas thinking it was the fuel debris from the tank, but Imight have just run out of gas.

Imade it to the gas station and the bike was fine.

I put 6.1 Gallons on my 6.4 gallon tank

still, .3 gallons should have been left inside.

So what was it?

no gas or the debris from the welds?

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 ATAS DCT Vin number 15. ok, so today, i had 10 miles to empty ride it 241 miles and my bike started loosing power.

As Iwas riding Iwas thinking it was the fuel debris from the tank, but Imight have just run out of gas.

Imade it to the gas station and the bike was fine.

So what was it?

Cheers!
Were you on level surface at steady speed? Low fuel can be funny if you are riding aggressively. Best way to find out if to take a look inside.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Were you on level surface at steady speed? Low fuel can be funny if you are riding aggressively. Best way to find out if to take a look inside.
i was so dumb that i didnt check inside the tank for gas...

i'll experiment some more and carry a gas bottle next time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Special Edition @GvG? Hmm.
Maybe a european edition?

I removed that ugly sticker under the VIN sticker, but I can't remember there was important information on that sticker, only safety warning bullshit I think.

BMW has a site where you can put the last 6 digits of your VIN number, and it shows all the (production) data.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i was so dumb that i didnt check inside the tank for gas...

i'll experiment some more and carry a gas bottle next time.
That's funny:D! I meant, to check inside for white particles in the fuel. But, good point, you might want to check the accuracy of the fuel gage/indicating system as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
297 Posts

As I was riding I was thinking it was the fuel debris from the tank, but I might have just run out of gas.
I made it to the gas station and the bike was fine.
So what was it?

Cheers!
Few if any gas tanks drain from the lowest point of the tank. This is for the best since any water will accumulate in the lowest part of the tank. General aviation aircraft I have flown in the past all had drain fixtures installed at the lowest part of the fuel tanks to permit drawing off fuel to inspect for water contamination. For better or worse this isn't an option on motorcycles. Maybe it is just as well. At least you know you can used 6.1 of your 6.4 gallon capacity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed my fuel filter today 18 plate 8.5ks. Totally chocked what a mess, hopefully this new kit will sort it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Phew, made it through this thread, well scanned some posts as it was taking so long.
I am in the UK and have a March 2018 ATAS, no fuelling issues yet although it rarely gets a fistfull of throttle.
Can I please ask a couple of questions, sorry if its been covered:
1. Most posts are from USA/Canada it seems. Has this problem been an issue in the UK. I believe we have 5% ethanol in our fuel if thats a factor
2. Lots of talk about changing fuel pump and Injectors. The clogged filter appears to be on the pump suction so that it protects the pump. Are we saying that debris has got past the filter and caused damage to fuel pump and injectors. A pump and injectors will cost quite a lot !

·
Registered
156 Posts
My thoughts on #2
All the pictures I've taken do not show any grey / black discoloration after the fuel filter / clogged filter. The stuff is not magnetic.
But, I keep following this thread..............................................., waiting for Honda to put out a statement.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
My thoughts on #2
All the pictures I've taken do not show any grey / black discoloration after the fuel filter / clogged filter. The stuff is not magnetic.
But, I keep following this thread..............................................., waiting for Honda to put out a statement.
While you are waiting @Two60zCowboy, Honda will continue to crank out new 2021 models like the CMX1100 (and maybe the CB1100X) using the same underlying feed 'n' fart system. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know the tank vacuum has been mentioned, but I just wonder.
After a ride my ATAS tank sings sweetly in the garage for ages. I release the filler cap and there is a rush of air. I am pretty sure its an in rush of air.
We clearly have an issue with tank debris but is the filter not just doing what its supposed to do and catching debris. To limit fuel flow I would have thought that it would have to be almost totally blocked. The filters look bad on pics but has a test been done to check fuel flow
The pump has a suction head that depends on fuel level assuming tank air pressure remains constant. I think its a centrifrugal pump rather than positive displacement so discharge pressure will be suction head sensitive. Consider the worst case:
If we have a low fuel level, plus low tank air pressure, plus restricted filter, plus sudden demand from throttle then all things could add up to reduce fuel flow. I think there have been posts where opening and closing the filler cap has returned bike to normal
People have had problems with an almost new bike, could a filter get so restricted in that short time that it causes fuel starvation.
I am not sure how the tank breather system works but have we really eliminated this from this investigation ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know the tank vacuum has been mentioned, but I just wonder.
After a ride my ATAS tank sings sweetly in the garage for ages. I release the filler cap and there is a rush of air. I am pretty sure its an in rush of air.
We clearly have an issue with tank debris but is the filter not just doing what its supposed to do and catching debris. To limit fuel flow I would have thought that it would have to be almost totally blocked. The filters look bad on pics but has a test been done to check fuel flow
The pump has a suction head that depends on fuel level assuming tank air pressure remains constant. I think its a centrifrugal pump rather than positive displacement so discharge pressure will be suction head sensitive. Consider the worst case:
If we have a low fuel level, plus low tank air pressure, plus restricted filter, plus sudden demand from throttle then all things could add up to reduce fuel flow. I think there have been posts where opening and closing the filler cap has returned bike to normal
People have had problems with an almost new bike, could a filter get so restricted in that short time that it causes fuel starvation.
I am not sure how the tank breather system works but have we really eliminated this from this investigation ?
This is something that should be considered when issues arise. Blocked or partially blocked tank vents happen so infrequently many people don't think to check it. If the bike stops for this reason on the side of a busy road, the rider may not even hear the hiss as the atmospheric and tank air pressures equalize when the fuel cap is opened. Since people often assume a single fault when diagnosing a problem, multiple causes can sometimes slow the repair process considerably or lead the a person into a lot of unnecessary work for what could be a very quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a look at the filler cap to see how the vent works. As expected the cap seals onto the tank fill neck when closed. When closed the cap also has a small hole that makes a seal with a rubber upstand grommet that is in turn attached to an outgoing vent pipe. So the tank air space has a route to an atmospheric vent up through the closed filler cap then down through the vent pipe. The flexible vent pipe makes its way to the lower LHS of the bike where it exits to atmosphere.
When the filler cap is open you can see a drainhole in the tank recess, this is the fuel overflow escape route for when you overfill the tank and exits the bike adjacent to the tank vent pipe at the rear LHS
So I thought I would check there was a clearway through the vent pipe.
I attached a long hose to the open end of the vent pipe and opened the filler cap. I blew down the vent hose expecting the air to travel back up the vent and come out at the rubber grommet inside the fuel filler. Could not feel any air coming out and it felt like the vent line was either restricted or blocked.
So inconclusive.
To re state, I have not had any fuelling issues to date, 2018 ATAS.

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts