Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Has anyone mounted these tires by hand or did a dealer put them on I am waiting for a pair of them to arrive and I am wondering If I should try it or not. Thanks for any answer. Gandalf12
Yes, the front was easy. The rear wasn't so easy because it's heavy with a stiff sidewall.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just to elaborate on what bdalameda said….

As with cars; the tire pressure on the side of the tire is JUST FOR THE TIRE, NOT FOR THE VEHICLE. On ANY vehicle put the pressure at the recommended pressure on the sticker posted on that vehicle.. The manufacturer spends hundreds of hours testing these to find the best pressure for HANDLING, traction, and gas mileage .. in short the safest and optimal performance..
On the Dunlop website they have recommended tire pressures for the Honda AT running the Trail Max Mission tires. There are times that the tire manufacturers will recommend a different tire pressure then the recommended tire pressure that the Motorcycle manufacturer recommends being that tires are made differently and have varying sidewall designs and flexibility. Dunlop does recommend a lower tire pressure than Honda and after running the Dunlop Mission tires I can see why. The Dunlop tire is not a radial but has a bias construction and is quite stiff. The tires felt very hard when running the Honda specs and felt better running the Dunlop specs.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,172 Posts
On the Dunlop website they have recommended tire pressures for the Honda AT running the Trail Max Mission tires. There are times that the tire manufacturers will recommend a different tire pressure then the recommended tire pressure that the Motorcycle manufacturer recommends being that tires are made differently and have varying sidewall designs and flexibility. Dunlop does recommend a lower tire pressure than Honda and after running the Dunlop Mission tires I can see why. The Dunlop tire is not a radial but has a bias construction and is quite stiff. The tires felt very hard when running the Honda specs and felt better running the Dunlop specs.
Yep you are absolutely correct, they do, not to often do the manufacture’s override the ppl that built the vehicle, but it dose happen when that tire is a lot diff then the OEM. Honestly I think that a kinda salty data sheet should come with them especially when they know that the tire will perform better then what the vehicle manufacture says. After all they don’t test their vehicle for every possible tire you can put on it just the ones it’s going to be sold with..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,172 Posts
Got them.. L O V E!!! These tires…
BTW Baja no pinch tool, some of the best $$$ spent on a tool , WELL with the price, no pinched tube and pushes even the most stubborn tire on with no issues..

Reactions: Sled

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
292 Posts
Well darn, I’ve looked for this YouTube vid and didn’t find anything decent about c clamps and blocks. I’m curious, help plz

·
Super Moderator
6,932 Posts
Great pictures @Gandalf. The Forum can also use the images to confirm that you put the tire on in the correct rotational direction. (y)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hardest tire I have ever mounted using the wooden blocks I saw in a video on utube and using the c clamps I read about on this forum so now all mounted and ready to fly again View attachment 64472 View attachment 64473 View attachment 64474 View attachment 64475 View attachment 64476
No question the rear is really difficult to mount. The hardest part is getting the tire down into the rim center with the sidewalls being so stiff. I'm not as young and strong as I used to be so for me this was difficult. When I was about 15 I worked after school at the local motorcycle shop and was in charge of mounting tires. I would charge 10 dollars per tire front or rear on the bike to change tires and after doing 4 or 5 tires I thought I was rich. I got so good at changing tires with spoons that I even changed road race tires with ease and in those days road race tires were super stiff. I used to tell people that if you sweated while changing a tire you were doing it wrong - well I am sweating now at 64 years old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I just finished the first ride on the new dunlop mission tires 95.8 miles at a leisurely geezer pace. I tried to hit all of the road cracks and tar snakes I could find all without any wobble I have 29psi in the front and 39psi in the rear. Very happy so far. The video where I saw the wood blocks being used was one by chapperal motor sports in california
where they were showing how to do trailside repairs and the c clamp idea came from this forum
the pictures are the front of the front tire showing the rotation and the arrow. The rear tire showing the rotation and the arrow. The tool for snaking the valve stem made life much easer from Denis Kirt l have had it for years and finaly used it on these tires. Handeling seemes to be a little quicker whem turning in. All in all great so far. Font Auto part Carmine Electronics accessory Cable Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
35 Posts
So now after reading and reading this forum I have decided to take out the tubes in the rear tire and swap out for the original thin tube that came with the bike in the first place When I mounted the new mission tire i used a heavy duty tube from michelin now I have experienced the heat build up that happens with that tube . The rear tire was pretty hot after about 40 miles at 30 to 50 mph Tire pressure went from 39 to 45 with the heat . Now the front tire just got mildly warm with the heavy duty tube in it and only maybe 2 psi increase so I am going to leave that one in place.
thanks ahead of time for any comments. Gandalf12

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yesterday I went for a ride just about 400 miles , highway and back roads. I got cought in a down pour on rt 91 in Mass. for about 15 minutes really had to slow down visabilty was really bad but these tires had no problem dealing with the water after the rain let up I road through the hills of western Mass and down into CT wet roads were no problem at all I kept my speed at reasonable rate . On the second half of the ride the roads had dryied off and it became much more fun , so far after 500+ miles on these tires are everything their cracked up to be.

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
69 Posts
After a few thousand miles the tread in the center of the rear has worn to a smooth two inch wide strip.

there is plenty of rubber left, but the center grooves are worn away leaving essentially a slick tire for straight up riding. Sides still have grooves.

I would post a pic, but I’m at wor

I don’t remember it wearing like that on my BMW R1200Adventre.

So it gave good grip on gravel and dirt for the first few thousand miles. Not so much anymore.

I don’t think I’ll be buying these again.

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
69 Posts
Here are pics of my rear tire. Notice the 3” wide strip in the middle that is slick. Again, the first few thousand miles it had good tread and good off road grip. Now it rides like a street tire on gravel. I’ll have to check the mileage, I’m guessing it has around 4 to 5,000 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
717 Posts
I will vouch for the not great in the mud sentiment. I had a bit of a rough day with my ATAS with the Trailmax Missions on Sunday.

One look at the tread pattern and you know mud isn't going to be their friend, but I really like the tire in general.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Agreed Cuch. I'm running these tires now and have never gotten a taste of what happens when the tread fills with goo. BUT, I have run Shinkos 804/805s in Florida muck:

and I'm here to tell you they have zero traction in this crap. Motorcycles can disappear up to their fenders in this stuff, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Shinkos were better in deep sand because thay are like paddles, but in gooey crap, I would still bet on the Dunlops today all other things being equal. Now, have I run into deep goo with them? Not yet, and anything I couldn't get through quickly. They did well in those cases. Maybe not so well in long trails thru the stuff.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
717 Posts
Resurrecting this post to ask what tire pressures are you guys running in these
On tarmac, recommended Honda pressure. On the rough stuff, unlike Brett Tkaks, I down pressure a bit to get better grip and it works. It's not just about more grip, but it is! Go figure. When you down pressure you're trading stability and safety ( blowouts, etc.) for ease of travel. Finding that happy medium is a function of bike/suspension/rider gear & weight/and riding style.

On a recent COBDR and loaded pretty well, I ran 32 psi on the rear & 22 psi on the front in the dirt, set at about 8000 ft MSL. We ended up over 13,000 ft on occasion. And did so without doing much with our tire pressures. This means we were running higher pressures than we thought for many miles during the ride.

And we are all world-class, top-drawer aerospace engineers. None better, we believe. Oh well. That must mean there's a lot of margin in the system.

;)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts