Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
717 Posts
Tires were great today! Just not so good in the mud. No damage thanks to the crash bars!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Need to work on that line Bro! :)

·
Administrator
3,427 Posts
Agreed Cuch. I'm running these tires now and have never gotten a taste of what happens when the tread fills with goo. BUT, I have run Shinkos 804/805s in Florida muck:

View attachment 65492

and I'm here to tell you they have zero traction in this crap. Motorcycles can disappear up to their fenders in this stuff, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. Shinkos were better in deep sand because thay are like paddles, but in gooey crap, I would still bet on the Dunlops today all other things being equal. Now, have I run into deep goo with them? Not yet, and anything I couldn't get through quickly. They did well in those cases. Maybe not so well in long trails thru the stuff.
Shinko 804/805 do really well in deep sand from what I understand, but we really don't have sand here to speak of. Still my wife really likes the 804/805 in general. In mud they tend to slide because the straight lines of the knobs don't offer lateral stability, but generally speaking we don't get a lot of deep mud here either. You will get it in some water crossings, but rarely elsewhere. Slick clay after a rain is far more common.

For deep mud, a tire like the Motoz Tractionator Rallz should out perform the Shinko or the Dunlop Missions.

But the Dunlop Mission is a great 50/50 tire for Colorado imho.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just returned from a round trip to my daughters house in Clinton Iowa total of 2405 miles , most of witch was in the rain, on the way out Ihad to stop 2 times because of how hard it was raining plus 60 mile a hour side winds lightning all around me quite terriffing so i pulled into a Harley dealership and sat under a small poritco to wait out the storm . After they opened they invited me in and gave me coffee a very nice family run place. After apout an hour I was on my way only to hit another storm about a hour later this time I waited it out in a used car dealership they were just as nice and also gave me coffee an let me put my bike in there shop out of the rain really nice people.
This is really about the tires these pictures are after 3901 miles on the tires. The rear is starting to square off a little but the front look fine. 36 psi in the rear and 29 psi in the front. Traction in rain Wonderful! Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Water Cloud Sky Water Plant Tree Automotive tire Bumper Tread Grey Rectangle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a set. I think in our specific size the tire have a middle strip. Dont know why. Never see this strip in ads or Dunlop site. The strip Will appear at middle tread life. Such a bummer.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
717 Posts
Yup, that rear center strip will help with noise and accelerated wear when the center blocks wear down to the strip. It expect these to be relatively quiet on pavement from the 1/2 way wear-point and beyond.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is a picture of my rear Dunlop Mission tire at 4800 miles. Two 1200 mile trips fully loaded loaded at high speeds combined with lots of very tight twisty paved roads and quite a few miles of gravel and rocky off road. The wear on this tire is exceptional. I expect I will get at least 10K out of the rear. Probably 15K+ out of the from tire. Reasonably quiet, confident handling and decent off road performance. I could not be happier.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hood

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here are pics of my rear tire. Notice the 3” wide strip in the middle that is slick. Again, the first few thousand miles it had good tread and good off road grip. Now it rides like a street tire on gravel. I’ll have to check the mileage, I’m guessing it has around 4 to 5,000 miles on it.
Hard to believe that tire has 4 or 5k miles on it. I just posted a picture of my rear tire with 4800 miles on it and it is in fantastic condition with at least 5k miles of wear left on it. I wonder if Dunlop changed compounds at some point and you had a much softer compound tire.

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
69 Posts
You are right. When I checked my mileage it was closer to 7, however the bald strip showed up much earlier. I estimate it was there around 5,000 miles and was no longer providing good grip on gravel.

I have a new Mitas E07 about to go on as a replacement. If I was mostly street I would stick with the Dunlops. I could get 9 thousand miles out of the rear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think my next set of tires is going to be the Bridgestone “Battlax AX41.” @AT-Dragon I’m still very happy with your recommendation on the trailmax- killer tires, got me through some pretty nasty stuff. But there’s a lot of mud out West compared to the midwest as it turns out.
Just burning through a set of AX41's. Amazing on dirt, rocks baby heads and even found some mud which the tires made it through with out issue. The tarmac will kill them quicker than you can say here's my wallet. If you are predominately riding dirt I can not say enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished putting these tires on my 2019 ATAS today. Have not driven them yet as it was cold and raining hard all day. Maybe tomorrow I can try them out. The rear was a bit of a beast. The first side of the rear slipped on just like any other tire but getting the final side on the rim was tuff and I almost gave up but then l I really lubed the crap out of it and then realized that the side I was working, the part that was over the lip of the rim was not sitting in the center of the rim but on the bead. Once I pushed it into the center of the rim it went on without to much trouble.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts